Ki-115 Tsurugi Modelik nr 20/04 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Hey Chris This is looking good !!! Please keep the pictures coming.

Regards
    Alcides
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

oh, I will :)
    Chris
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry been slow - here is an update - the Fuselage is complete! Not as good as I hoped - a couple flaws are evident but its my problem - the design is quite sound.....

I am pleased with the alignment - its always something I had problems with in the past. The engine portion cant go on until the prop is done. I plan on working on the wings next!

Before assembly....
    [​IMG]

several post assembly shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come :)
    Chris
  4. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Good to see that someone is making progress. Thanks for sharing. I need a dose of vicarious modeling right now.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The bomb bay is complete and I have completed cutting out most of the parts for the wings but no photos yet - sorry! However I have a questions for the pros (or anyone with a better eye than me...)
    http://www.ijaafphotos.com/jbwki1151.htm

I have a horrible eye for scale. based on these photos what do you think the diameter of the landing gear struts should be approximately? I was going to wrap quilting pins with standard paper a couple times. (then just coloring the paper with a marker) what are your thoughts on ending tube size?
    Thanks!
    Chris
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You could start with a very small quilt tube and keep a long piece of paper . keep wrapping it until you get to a size taht looks about right. No one is going to measure 3 vs 4 scale inches. I thing the tsurugi Had rudimentary Pipes welded up anyway, so whatever looks right sould do. When you get to your target diameter just snip off the excess and if you used glue to test it just measure the leftover subtract from the initial piece you started with.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

No, they dont give me any parts to roll :( They give diagrams that show how long the pieces should be and where to bend etc and thats it. Of course it might be written in the polish text somewhere but that doesnt do many any good ;) the one build thread I can find on it they guy used cut q tips and I thought that looked way too big. I do think he used the platsic q tips though - I got paper ones at home maybe those will look about right - plus they are paper to start with! ;)

On the real plane they are indeed welded pipes since it was a suicide plane they didnt worry about them much.
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Use the big, round paper clips.
    They will have correct diameter (approx 1mm), they will look like steel pipes and most importantly they will be strong enough to support the model.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I was considering the big round paperclips - I will see if work can supply me with some ;)
    Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Couple of quick shots for ya all!
    The bomb bay - I plan on putting the 800 pounder in but will build both to see which one I eventually like better....

pic 1
    [​IMG]

and another
    [​IMG]

I reprinted the wing skins on 44lb epson heavyweight matte paper. So that slowed me up a bit. Honestly the feel isnt much different than my 110 lb cardstock. We will see after I get it cut out and start working with it though. Hopefully it will shape a bit easier. I plan on getting some of the wausau paper sugested as well sometime when I make it to office depot or whatnot again.
    Chris
  11. Alcides

Alcides Member

I like your work. Is the bay bomb build apart and next it glued to the fuselage? Or you have to build the bay in the fuselage?

If you don't understand my question please tell me. I learning English.

Regards
    Alcides
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I get it :)
    Thanks!
    The bomb bay is curved then fit into the formers under the fuselage. Its really pretty easy but the fit was not the greatest near the ends. The rails were glued inside the bomb bay after it was attached to the fuselage
    Chris
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks carl, much appreciated! I think I will do just that. It will be a while before I get that far though. I got one wing skinned today but unfortunately I didnt know just where to position the supports inside and they arent placed quite right. I am not sure if it will be usable or not...
    Chris
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I got that wing to work - going for a walk with my son now so might not get the other one skinned today but we need an outing :) actually have a nice day here in wisconsin!
    Chris
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The wings are complete! But not yet glued on....

The wings...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

flaps open.....
    [​IMG]

dry fit here - I dont plan to glue in until I have the tail section ready to go on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the tail!
    Chris
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Just a historical note:
    This green background was sprayed in the factory to make sure that whoever applies camouflage in the field will not mess up Hinomarus...
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well I know everyone has wondered what has Chris been up to? Well building not so fast but I got some more done finally! I really gotta get this done within the next couple weeks or it will never make it to france in time for christmas.

The tail is complete and tail and wings are attached. Sorry no pics of pieces before putting it together what little time I have lately I try to build - you know how that goes right?!?! :D anyways here are the pics

overall shot
    [​IMG]

some pics of the tail section only
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This all went together really well. I was especially happy with the way the piece went on that covers where the top of the wing meets the fuselage. I had a minor problem but it was purely my fault. I am starting to rush the build a little more than I would like :(
    Chris

*edit* man looking at those pics again and this is really turning out to be a sloppy build :( I better go back to something easier next time
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK, I decided to jump forward a bit and complete the piece that has caused me the most angst while planning this build - the landing gear. Its not your tpyical landing gear and after soliciting much advice about how to proceed I kinda went off my own way. They arent attached yet because I dont want to put them on until the canopy is attached (I plan on molding my own clear canopy) I am very happy with the way these turned out and this turning into a great learning experience. I just wish there was an extra month before christmas.

I made the gear struts out of round toothpicks colored with a 70% prismacolor marker. I like how it worked out mostly because I was able to carve the needed angles into them before gluing and I actually hit them pretty well. The wheels are 4 pieces of 1mm card stock laminated together then sanded down and colored with a sharpie. I drilled out the centers so they would rotate well on the gear. I dont know why but it seems you ever hand anyone a model the first thing they do is see if the wheels turn (and if its a car the doors/hood open) here are a couple pics. Both taken with natural light - I have no idea why the camera rendered the colors so horribly....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting those done is a great load off my mind so I can think about the canopy and prop assembly. Feeling much better about this now!
    Chris
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking good. There are a lot of do's in any hobby or activity and a bunch of don'ts. You're lookin' good so far, don't rush anything to just get'er done. that project will be there when you come back. I have a GPM F-15 that is fuselage done but stalled 3 years ago, I'm not in the mood for that aggravation, but someday. You're tail surfaces are alright, the landing gear looks good, they were a bunch of welded pipes, slop some glue on the joints and slap a bit of metallic paint into the strut parts. The only guy you have to be critical of is yourself. My son, who was born with the co-ordination god gave an apple with thumbs, put together/ built a fiddler's green F117. This thing looks like a black pancake with ears, but he thinks it should go to the Smithsonian. It still sits in my study. I'm not at all comparing work and please forgive me if it sounds like too much advice, you are doing great work! The bottom line! ITS A HOBBY! Have fun with it!
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Good for the landing gear Chris!

Happy to see I'm not the only one using these extra materials for card modeling!

I really hope you can finish it for Christmas, man! C'mon, you can!