Ki-115 Tsurugi Modelik nr 20/04 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK,
    Snapped some pics and I decided to not post the piston parts until I had them all made. I am going to intersperse making them throughout my entire build so I dont get bored with them....

Moving on to the cockpit next. Here are the formers...
    [​IMG]

Just an observation. I get a much better cut with multiple layers of cardstock than one thick piece of carboard with a layer of printed cardstock. It just cuts smoother. :D
    Chris
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It took so long cause there were almost 100 parts (plus I was watching tv wile coloring the edges) :) I had to hold them all with tweezers cause they were so small too. I will get to work for ya on those carl :)

clarification:
    I used to laminate a piece of printed cardstock to one thick piece of cardboard then cut the pieces out. This time I laminated 3 sheets of 110lb cardstock plus the parts to be laminated together then cut them out. I found I got an easier and cleaner cut from laminating multiple sheets of cardstock together. I did not cut all the pieces out first then laminate them together. I am not nearly that coordinated ;)

BTW the camera is my wifes. I have my own but cant find the adapter cable. I should dig that out though - I liked the macros it took much more.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It took so long cause there were almost 100 parts (plus I was watching tv wile coloring the edges) :) I had to hold them all with tweezers cause they were so small too. I will get to work for ya on those carl :)

clarification:
    I used to laminate a piece of printed cardstock to one thick piece of cardboard then cut the pieces out. This time I laminated 3 sheets of 110lb cardstock plus the parts to be laminated together then cut them out. I found I got an easier and cleaner cut from laminating multiple sheets of cardstock together. I did not cut all the pieces out first then laminate them together. I am not nearly that coordinated ;)

BTW the camera is my wifes. I have my own but cant find the adapter cable. I should dig that out though - I liked the macros it took much more.
  4. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I should be the last guy trying to advise someone on edge-coloring as I still stumble over that step. But one thing I did when I built my Eindecker engine was to take advantage of the layout of the cylinders on the sheet. They are typically laid out in a line so I cut both ends and edged them before I cut the actual pieces out. This quickly colored two of the 4 edges. Just a thought.

In one of these threads I suggested that I preferred to laminate with cardstock rather than laminating with other cardboard. I think this may be what you're bumping into here. By using the same type of material through the entire lamination, you have a constant density and thus the knife will cut more smoothly through it.

Photos are great by the way.

Cheers -- Larry
  5. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I should be the last guy trying to advise someone on edge-coloring as I still stumble over that step. But one thing I did when I built my Eindecker engine was to take advantage of the layout of the cylinders on the sheet. They are typically laid out in a line so I cut both ends and edged them before I cut the actual pieces out. This quickly colored two of the 4 edges. Just a thought.

In one of these threads I suggested that I preferred to laminate with cardstock rather than laminating with other cardboard. I think this may be what you're bumping into here. By using the same type of material through the entire lamination, you have a constant density and thus the knife will cut more smoothly through it.

Photos are great by the way.

Cheers -- Larry
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's a great idea! Depending on the layout, you might even get 2 edges colored before cutting.

Rick
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's a great idea! Depending on the layout, you might even get 2 edges colored before cutting.

Rick
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here is my current status:

Cockpit formers in place. I tried out a new marker Prismacolor coolgrey 40. I think I need even lighter plus it bled all to heck. You can really see it on that thin former. Maybe I need to spend a half hour coloring blank sheets of paper to get rid of the newness...

[​IMG]

Sorry this one turned out a bit blurry
    [​IMG]

Not too great either - I guess only the side one is worth looking at but here is the last one I took
    [​IMG]

Here are the engine parts for the main engine plus one cyclinder:
    [​IMG]

And here is the whole pile of remaining cylinders:
    [​IMG]

Carl I decided to go ahead and get these done for ya :) I got all the main tubes rolled and about half of the upper portions of the pistons. Your technique works with elmers for rolling tubes too ;)

I was looking at your gallery and saw you crafted cylinders in the same apparent style. la-5 I think it was. What kind of wire did you use for the rods? I dont have any wire so will need to go buy some. Let me know what guage and material please :D appreciate it greatly. I really know squat about wire in models... Also is it the same I can use for the landing gear struts?
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here is my current status:

Cockpit formers in place. I tried out a new marker Prismacolor coolgrey 40. I think I need even lighter plus it bled all to heck. You can really see it on that thin former. Maybe I need to spend a half hour coloring blank sheets of paper to get rid of the newness...

[​IMG]

Sorry this one turned out a bit blurry
    [​IMG]

Not too great either - I guess only the side one is worth looking at but here is the last one I took
    [​IMG]

Here are the engine parts for the main engine plus one cyclinder:
    [​IMG]

And here is the whole pile of remaining cylinders:
    [​IMG]

Carl I decided to go ahead and get these done for ya :) I got all the main tubes rolled and about half of the upper portions of the pistons. Your technique works with elmers for rolling tubes too ;)

I was looking at your gallery and saw you crafted cylinders in the same apparent style. la-5 I think it was. What kind of wire did you use for the rods? I dont have any wire so will need to go buy some. Let me know what guage and material please :D appreciate it greatly. I really know squat about wire in models... Also is it the same I can use for the landing gear struts?
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There is no need to color edges of formers that will be covered by the fuselage skin :roll:
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There is no need to color edges of formers that will be covered by the fuselage skin :roll:
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I colored all the edges of the formers that were colored themselves. Some of them will be visible through the canopy :) Thanks though - I do tend to go a bit overboard sometimes!
    Chris
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I colored all the edges of the formers that were colored themselves. Some of them will be visible through the canopy :) Thanks though - I do tend to go a bit overboard sometimes!
    Chris
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I should have them done in a few days Carl :p heh heh back to work always sucks. I color the edges pretty quick but I think I press too hard.

Where do you buy your wire and stuff? Does it come straight or on a roll? I know I gotta buy an assortment of dowels now I will add wire to the list. My dad just joined up here and has been working his way through reading. Maybe I can split with him :)
    Chris
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I should have them done in a few days Carl :p heh heh back to work always sucks. I color the edges pretty quick but I think I press too hard.

Where do you buy your wire and stuff? Does it come straight or on a roll? I know I gotta buy an assortment of dowels now I will add wire to the list. My dad just joined up here and has been working his way through reading. Maybe I can split with him :)
    Chris
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I get florist wire from a hobby store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It comes straight in a bag look in the floral dept........bends pretty easy.

I like the grey markers too, GB's right.......... when new don't press.

john
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I get florist wire from a hobby store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It comes straight in a bag look in the floral dept........bends pretty easy.

I like the grey markers too, GB's right.......... when new don't press.

john
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think at our local michaels they had every grey density in incements of 10 for prismacolor. They were out of 50 density though. I got 40 and 70. Did that make any sense? I think I am starting to ramble. I better go home now.....
    Chris
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think at our local michaels they had every grey density in incements of 10 for prismacolor. They were out of 50 density though. I got 40 and 70. Did that make any sense? I think I am starting to ramble. I better go home now.....
    Chris
  20. Wily

Wily Member