Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Oct 4, 2006.
We shall see I am going to be more detail oriented than my usual self for my first showing
Well here we go! Ready to start scoring and laminating as needed - 10:1 says one of the kids wakes up and comes back downstairs.....
All scored and ready to laminate!
I cant find where it says what weight card to laminate too so I am going to go with my standard approx 1mm - comes with our mainframe printouts at work - its heavier than what is on the back of notebooks.
Note: why dont they put EVERYTHING that has to be laminated right next to each other - it would be so much easier.
excellent idea! thanks!
I knew a build thread would pay off somehow
WHEW!! Glad you suggested it - my cardboard would have been about 2x as thick as it should have been. Lets see what thickness I can find elsewhere at work now what supply closet to start in heh heh
It's pretty easy to simply laminate several thicknesses of cardstock together. I really like this as it gives me complete control over thickness and creates a thickness that's consistent in density, unlike thin paper on the top of some other kind of cardboard underneath.
Cheers --- Larry
i just got a big bundle of 110 lb cardstock from wally world - will give it a try! thanks guys
When you laminate several sheets together do you have to let it dry for a while between adding more sheets or can you just go to town til you get to the thickness you want? I finally have a good use for those nice calipers my dad gave me! Thanks dad!
Nice, thanks Carl - you guys prove indispensible every day!
Maybe you should but I don't Calipers are indispensible in all forms of modeling in my opinion. On the other hand, it's likely that your 110lb stock is .009" thick so some simple arithmetic can suffice unless you're REALLY picky about thickness.
Cheers --- Larry
I told you it was gonna be a slow build. I finished up the engine cowling today. Its kinda sad but it took me over an hour to glue the five pieces together. I tried a few different types of edge coloring in this area. First I tried using a plain old automatic pencil - the lead was too hard. Tried a grey water color pencil - couldn't even tell it did anything. Last tried a black water color pencil. Still didn't like the results. Maybe I didn't get the tip wet enough. I think I am going to go and get a set of grey shade markers and try those out next.
The front. Only the first ring attached to the main cowling has an underlying strip of paper. The rest are butt joints. I did have problems with the fit on the first ring but I think I might have cut it too short..... I suppose that's what happens when you typically start working on the project at 10 pm..... sigh....
A pic from the back to show the insert that goes inside the cowling. This was an excellent fit and the angles worked out very well.
Another gratuitous shot from directly behind - it doesn't really show much besides I need more practice cutting a darn smooth line....
Thats a grat idea! I love these little tips. I do need to get myself a pair of good old fashioned tweezers. I have a pair of these modern ones that have an added angle head and to top it off they dont meet well in the front - paid more and got a piece of junk - ah well live and learn!
My next step will be the engine cylinders. I might even get some time to work on those yet today. Lots of parts to cut out..., reminds me of darn tank treads.....
If anyone else wants to take a quick look
I like the idea but I sure dont want to make it shiny. I will keep it in mind for my next builds though
I managed to get all the parts cut out this afternoon. Now I just have to scrape together the time to color the edges and put them together! I am gonna test out Carl's rolling pieces process
That's IT [devious mind spinning]!! The reason I've made no progress on my Buffalo build is that I was waiting for you to do something on your Ki115. I didn't want you to feel bad about my whiz-kid fast builds. Yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
You mean we're supposed to do it faster than this? Say it ain't so, Chris.
The progress looks great. I hope the front end of my Buffalo turns out as nice.
Cheers --- Larry
It aint really slow I could have glued them faster but then I wouldnt have been happy with it
Last night I finished cutting out all 14 cyclinders (7 pieces per cylinder. It took me about 3 hours to cut them all out and a bit over 3 hours to color all the edges. I used a black sharpie purposely colored them a bit much to give the engine a bit of a used look. Unfortunately my wife has the camera in her purse (and she is out shopping) so I couldnt take a pic of the pieces so instead I moved on and cut the formers out for the cockpit before starting to assemble the cyls.
Hopefully I will get to stat putting those cylinders together tonight - pity they will be mostly covered up but I will know they are all there! Hmmmmmm..... maybe I will have to come up with something to make the cowling easily removable or maybe even an access hatch like what a mechanic would use to access the engine. This might merit some internet research. Gotta find a good side shot of a cowling now!
Snapped some pics and I decided to not post the piston parts until I had them all made. I am going to intersperse making them throughout my entire build so I dont get bored with them....
Moving on to the cockpit next. Here are the formers...
Just an observation. I get a much better cut with multiple layers of cardstock than one thick piece of carboard with a layer of printed cardstock. It just cuts smoother.