Ki-115 Tsurugi Modelik nr 20/04 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well folks, its about time that I start giving a bit :)

This is going to be my next build but keep in mind I am no Golden Bear or flu so its gonna be pretty slow. I haven't even started scoring yet so it may be a bit. This model is rated 3 out of 5 for difficulty at the Modelik website. By far the most challenging I have done (except maybe airwolf that I failed at this time)

Here she is!
    [​IMG]

Right out this is the first purchased model I have ever done and have a couple questions (I cant read polish or whatever it is) if anyone could help out. First what the heck are these? I think they are used to attach the aerlions <sp>?
    [​IMG]

Also these are for the struts - should I bend wire to match these shapes or do I laminate to thick card (was thinking 1 mm or so) and cut them out?
    [​IMG]

Might have more questions before long but that's all for now!
    Looking forward to finally building something for you guys - any advice as I go along is appreciated!
    Chris
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Chris,
    That first pic looks like an internal brace for the wings to me.
    Are there assembly diagrams with this kit?
    Anyway it looks as if you would cut out each rectangle and score up the middle. Once folded in half and glued together and cut, your parts will be double thickness and colored on both sides.

The lower pic is for wire bent to the shapes. They are templates.
    A wire diameter should be indicated near by or in the assembly diagrams.

Hope this helps,

Russell
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

thanks guys! :)
    Chris
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Seems multiple publishers publish the exact same model..... good to know! That is an excellent build thread. Thanks, but darn, now I have a standard to live up too.... ;)
    Chris
  6. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Good luck with this build, Chris. We really should get more builds being described here. I've been remiss myself as I've started working on an enlarged Marek Buffalo and haven't reported anything.

Cheers --- Larry
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its pretty easy to get started and forget to take pics or think about what you are doing. I am going to try keeping a notebook next to me to jot things down if they come to mind. :) I really got to get to work on this!
    Chris
  8. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Newbie question here. Do the Modelik kits come with a big bunch of drawings showing the various sub-assemblies? I just received some Halinski kits from Hobby Factory (they include English translations of the text) and the Halinski isometric diagrams are WONDERFUL!!! I find all this kit-buying stuff to be a sort of roulette process.

Are you scanning your kit before starting (grin)? I'm not as capable as Carl and I'm going to scan my Halinski kits before I start on them.

Cheers --- Larry
  9. popala

popala Member

Orlik's Szczerbakow Szcze-2, a recent product, is a huge step up in quality of print and detailing. I will go as far as saying that it is close to what Halinski offers. For me this model is next in line as soon as my current build is finished (assuming Halinski doesn't come up with something more interesting). Don't hold your breath though - I just started a new project so it might be a while...
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

never seen a halinkski kit - might need to get one :)
    Thanks all!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nope, didnt know it! thanks. I have no idea how I am gonna cut out the tiny holes though.

For the struts I looked through the build thread given here and the guy that made that one used q-tip sticks for the struts. I dont want to do that. I was considering wrapping properly colored paper around paperclips or something - any suggestions? I dont have any special wire laying around either.
    Thanks!
    Chris
  12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

He used Q-tips to be able to glue them with the white glue. They came up a bit thick though....
    I always use paper clips - try to get the big, round ones - and if the diameter is on the big side, I simply use less paper to wrap around them :grin:
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

When you paper wrap the clips how sharp can you bend it or do you make separate straight sections and glue them on at the appropriate angles?

Is it a bad sign we are already on the second page of this thread and I Havent even started scoring yet?

GB - With the time I get to spend on models I probably wont even finish scoring in a week but I hope to get to do more than that ;) - can always wish!
    Chris
  14. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Straight pins should work for the smaller material and maybe paper clips for the larger. Frankly, I think life's too short to fool with such stuff. Head to any hobby or crafts shop anhd you can buy a supply of wire for the cost of a latte. I like 'piano' wire for these things as it's very stiff and straight. Others here have favored floral wire, which is easier to bend but harder to get straight :) Both are dirt cheap. In fact, given the price I had to pay for a load of top soil this summer, they're cheaper than dirt.

Cheers --- Larry
  15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

When you cut out the paper part, start rolling it on something with much bigger diameter than required. When paper tends to roll on its own, start doing the same on a smaller diameter dowel/Xacto handle/whatever round thing you have. Take your time with this as it will allow nice and smooth surface of a rolled part. Last stage is to roll the part on the wire you will ultimately use.

If the part is printed on heavier card, you can always separate layers of card. Some of the cardstock will even do it on its own when you start rolling it.
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Would any of you mind posting close up pic of a landing gear strut you have made with one of these methods?

REALLY - this will eventually be a build thread....... :D
    Chris
  17. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Chris, I'm not sure how it's to be done on your model but here's a little stepwise thing I put together for another thread. Maybe it, along with Michael's description and Carl's Spitfire strut, you can get an idea of how these are done.

Cheers --- Larry

Attached Files:

18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yeah larry, that was in answer to a question I had on that thread too! I had forgotten about that. :D

Thanks GB - I am going to try and find some real pics of the 115 so I can try to mimic the landing gear struts I think. Of the top of my head I dont recall their being anything to roll for the struts on this model but I may have just missed them.
    Chris
  19. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

There is nothing to roll on the Ki-115 struts.
    The original had them made from steel tubing so the best option here will be bare wire.
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ok! heavy duty paperclips it is :)