KFL 1/300 ironclad Huascar

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Corporal_Trim, May 30, 2008.

1. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

Here's a kit I bought recently from Paper Model Store. Simple - one parts sheet. Cheap -$2.99. I had in mind a simple tune-up as I ease myself back into the card modeling scene.

Attached Files:

2. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

There's one review posted at Moduni. One star out of five. "Sehr d├╝rftige Konstruktion. Im Vergleich zur HUASCAR von D. Hathaway eine Karikatur." (Very poor construction. In the comparison to the HUASCAR of D. Hathaway a caricature).

A little harsh but there were some issues with poor fit here and there. For that reason, I might not recommend this kit to a beginner despite the simplicity. That and the fact it's not always clear from the 2D instructions and very cryptic Polish exactly how certain assemblies are to be done.

I chose to build the ship without the foremast, as per the Hathaway model and many illustrations. Evidently the ship has undergone a number of rebuilds over the years.

Attached Files:

3. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Not a bad looking model for $2.99. There's quite a bit of detail for a small model - 9" or so in length I'm guessing.You did a nice, neat job. I'm sure that in the currency of "enjoyment per dollar" it was a real bargain. Are the masts rolled paper? If so, even more impressive.
    Regards,
    Don
  4. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

Thanks, Don ! :)

The mast poles are a combination of wood and brass wire. The masts with the kit are essentially templates with no usable parts except for the platform.