kevin's layout party

N

nachoman

I want to complete the last remaining area of my layout showing any bare wood. I want to get the track hooked up to theturntable, and create a little scene here.

attachment.php

kevin

N

nachoman

here is some photos of the area I intend to complete. I need to somehow shoehorn a switch off the mainline, either by modifying a shinohara or makng my own. As you can see, this is the last part of bare wood on my tiny layout.

kevin

Attachments

• layoutparty1.jpg
    layoutparty1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 177
  • layoutparty2.jpg
    layoutparty2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 177
  • layoutparty3.jpg
    layoutparty3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 163
N

nachoman

yes, that is HOn3. The overall size is 3'x6', but it is still plenty of laout in HOn3!!

kevin

N

nachoman

nope, it is all commercial code 70. i just followed malcom furlow's techique of painting each tie a different color. On a small layout like this, weathering each tie seperately doesn't take that long!!

kevin

CNPhil

" i just followed malcom furlow's techique of painting each tie a different color"

Hello. I'm laying track on my new On30 layout and would like to paint it.
I'm using foam for the landscape and roadbed so I can't use an aerosol paint.
I would rather use a brush on anyway.
Do you know where I can read about Malcom's technique?
Is it in his HOn3 layout book? I have that if it is.
Thanks
Phil

JAyers

Kevin,

please please show us more of that nifty turntable and the progress on it. Looks just like something I want to do in my grindstone quarry layout I'm going to build.

John

N

nachoman

Okay guys!

first, the tie painting. This is from Furlow's "San Juan Central" from the early eighties MR, also sold as a book "HO narrow gauge layout you can build" I just mix a few colors of paint in film canisters until I think it is a good tie color. Observe real ties to see variations in brown, gray, and reddish brown. Mix 3-4 colors, and randomly paint ties with a small brush and have fun. for the rails, paint them first. you can either use a spray can or brushpaint them as well. If you look at the prototype, rail color also varies over the length of the rail. It definitely consumes time, but for small layouts, it is no biggie.

And for the turntable, this is another idea borrowed from the san juan central. It is a cheapie atlas, 9" long. Not very useful for standard gauge because it is short, but is ideal for HOn3. I glued some wood strips between the rails using walther's GOO to cement the scratchbuilt bridge to. The bridge is entirely scratchbuilt using basswood, and the HOn3 rail attatched using PCB ties and either GOO or CA. I built it a few years ago and don't have photos of the construction.

anyway, i am starting to feel recovered from this stupid strepp throat and may actually make progress tomorrrow! (before the super bowl)

kevin

N

nachoman

ooh, I need to get going! between schoolwork and a new girlfriend I havent had much time! I've taken an old shinorhara turnout that had some warped ties and was out of gauge, and tried fixing it and modifying it with PCB ties. I still havent quite figured out how i can lay this turntable lead track. On such a small layout, squeezing in sidings and turnouts can be tricky!!

photos coming tonight, hopefully.

kevin