Kelso Water Tower

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Just wanted to get your feedback on one of my latest scatchbuilds. I took an empty pear can and painted the label dull silver, threw on some decals, and then dry brushed some rust on it. Then I made a trestle (sp) out of a small dowel and skinny craft sticks. I did the same for the top of the structure. Not too bad for a beginner I think.

tower1.jpg

tower2.jpg

tower3.jpg

What do you think?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm a big fan of building model railroad structures out of inexpensive readily available materials. Conical rooves are a challenge but yours looks good! Seems like water towers often have a pipe extendeding from the base up to the center of the underside of the tower. Might be something to consider adding. The can looks like its sort of balancing on top of the support structure. I wonder if you might find a way to make it look more solidly attached? The weathering looks appropriately rusty to me! I think that placed among some trees and ground cover near the tracks you'll be looking good!
Ralph

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Thanks for the feedback, its a shame I had to use my camera phone...my digital is out of commision yet again. Good idea on the pipe, I was going to add that. And thanks for the feedback on the "Balancing." I will most certainly "Beef it up"

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
MilesWestern said:
in addition, you NEED to add some sort of walkway 'round the tank, so your lil' LPB's can maintain it! :thumb: Good job though!!! :)

Good idea! Any thoughts on how a guy might do that?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
yeah, as a matter of fact! cut out the round plastic top portion of a planter's nut container, it's round, and can be panted, and also an serve as a base for you to put wood planking on top of, for an older look! :thumb:

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Took your advice and added the rail, beefed up the platform and added a water pipe. I acttually was stuck on what to use for the rail, but remembered I had made a miserable attempt at scatcbuilding an HO ladder out of solder. It took forever and I was frustrated that it didnt look right. (It turned out way too wide) Luckily I didnt throw it out and it made a perfect lookin rail! Its pretty rickety lookin too (which I love). Looks like my LPB need to get that rail fixed up! I also painted a straw dull silver and attached it to the bottom. Here is yet another fuzzy camera phone pic.

towerrail.jpg

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Ok, Ill bite. Does anyone know where I could find a HO ladder? Im in need of one about 80 scale feet! Or maybe they make some that I can build in sections (preferred) . Links could help! Thanks!

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
:thumb: :thumb: nice scratching evergreen scale models has a ladder kit that will make a 100 ft ladder
Play-Doh said:
Ok, Ill bite. Does anyone know where I could find a HO ladder? Im in need of one about 80 scale feet! Or maybe they make some that I can build in sections (preferred) . Links could help! Thanks!