Kelowna fires

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just got back from a trip to Kelowna BC, and the fire was bad, there were 250 houses destroyed when I left. I took a picture from the dock where I was staying, it shows how close it was to us, and we were staying right in the city! Sorry the picture is a bit blurry, but I took it at a slow shutter speed.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 216

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Here is another one right in front of our house. The whole sky was red from the fire burning just behind us.

Attachments

• fire sky.jpg
    fire sky.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 209

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Real disasterous fires all through the mid BC. Hundreds of homes lost and in one case we are aware of, the owner had no insurance. The Prime Minister just visited and promised some federal aid. Hope the government comes through.
Saw on the news last night that many folks who lost homes in the Kelowna area have banded together and are detemined to rebuild as soon as possible. These fires have also had an effect on other industries such as trucking as HWY 16 north of Kamloops was closed.

ENR3870

Apr 1, 2003
Sooke, BC, Canada
www.geocities.com
Update on the Kelowna fires...

The Okanagan Mountain fire has sent two trestles on the former CP/KVR Carmi Sub in Myra Canyon up in smoke, two more are damaged and the rest are in danger of burning down as well.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I saw on the news tonight that Shela Copps has arived in Kelowna and one of the things she is doing there is to give some money to rebuild the tressals. It is supposed to cost 50 million but I think the government is only giving some of the money. I think half. Good news, I think. :)

GNRail

Jun 18, 2003
Sudbury,ON
Visit site
Heard on the news (weather channel of all places) that both the Federal and Provincial governments have pledged money to rebuild Myra Canyon. What this practically means I not sure but I guess it is a start.

The other thing I heard this morning on the news that a group of Canadian song artist might hold a benefit concert .

TTFN

Garry