KC-135R photos at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Jul 17, 2006.

1. frankm

frankm New Member

Rob,
    I'll dig around and see if I can come up with pictures for you. Those details would also be proper for the R and T models.

In case it hasn't come though I love this aircraft. It is one of the classics that will live in the hearts of those who have been fortunate enough to be associated with her. Boeing produced another fine aircraft to stand with the B-17, B-47 and B-52. She was always ready to do her duty which is a testament to the robustness of her design and to her mechanics.
    It is hard to believe that this aircraft along with the B-52 has been in active service since the late 50's early 60's. And they are both scheduled to serve for another 10 to 15 years or longer. What a piece of machinery.
    I remember one 135E that lost both engines on the right side( the engines were wrenched from their mounts and departed the aircraft with the struts) and she got both herself and her crew home safe. Of course the pilots had a lot to do with getting home safe but they might not have made it in any other aircraft. This happened during the first Gulf War in 1991. I saw the aircraft when she got back and I'll tell you it was scary to look at. The asymmetrical forces on her had to be tremendous. If I remember right they installed two engines and struts and flew her home.

I remember one time in the phase dock hanger inspecting one of our birds. I was doing the nose area and was under the fuselage area by the PDI lights. I was banging on the fuselage bottom with my fist. As I was doing this I was being covered with a white powder. The harder I hit the more powder came out. This was an area that was not accessible except by removing large skin panels and that is only done in depot. Long story short, the depot sent some engineers to the base and they determined that the entire structure was very badly corroded. In talking to one of the depot engineers he told me that we were lucky that the forward belly tanks did not drop out on the ground. These have a capacity of several thousand pounds of fuel and could have caused quite an exciting time had they decided to drop out on landing or takeoff. Found out that the aircraft had sat for long periods of time on alert in Florida. That salt air is tough on aluminum.

As I think of other anecdotes I'll post them here.

Frank
  2. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135 Recolor of MS or TN Bird

John,
    Your more than welcome on working on a recolor of the KC-135 for a MS or TN ANG unit!!! ....I would post this along with my plates and give you the credit for the recolor:grin:
  3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

4. frankm

frankm New Member

Rob,
    Dave G posted a good picture of the belly on a 135R. It shows the yellow strip on the fuselage bottom real well. It also shows the tow bar limit strips on the forward fuselage sides. Dave, I didn't crew on the A model although I worked on them in the phase dock. I did crew on the E model. Was crew chief on the plane when trips came up and it was my turn to go. Even though I worked in the phase dock the powers that be assigned us dock wienies as crew chiefs on certain aircraft and put us into the trip rotation with the flight line guys. I crewed on a 135E named "Miss Behavin" tail #1479. Some of you may recognize the name. It was originally on a WWII B-17.

Frank
  5. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135 PA ANG marking

DWG and Frank,
    This is the black color on the wings (ruddevator?) on the fuel-filler line with the PA and ANG markings...is this close? Frank thanks for the reminescence...Boy if I see any white powder coming out of any plane I fly:-o I'll find another flight!!!:shock: I'll also work on gettng the yellow line on the center belly ....I really appreciate these notes ...by the way frank ...I filled in windows aft of the cockpit for more accuracy...

Attached Files:

6. frankm

frankm New Member

Rob,
    That looks pretty good. Most of the Air Guard units painted their ruddervators this way. By the way the fuel filler line is called the air refueling boom or just boom. I have a few pictures that I found on the web and when I find a way to display them I will post the url. The pictures are too large to attach here. One of the pictures shows the fuel drogue attachment that is used to refuel Nato and Navy aircraft that use the probe and drogue style of refueling.
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

frankm,
    If you have both the high speed and low speed please post them.
  8. frankm

frankm New Member

Rob,
    Here are few pictures of the ruddervators and how a couple of the units painted them. There are also a couple of shots of the drogue attachment on a Kansas bird. I also included a nose art shot of the bird that I crewed on 1479. It also shows the yellow strip that was painted around the flight deck windows. If I find any more I will post them.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/fmooney_2006/

Dave, I am thinking that you are talking about the high speed and low speed booms. I don't have any close up shots of either one. As you probably know the only noticeable external difference is the "rocks" that were put on the boom latch fairing to act as vortex generators. If this is not what you are referring to please let me know.

Frank

edit to include url
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK Guys........ I think I know but I want to be sure..............

the drogue has to be attached before flight, and can not be changed out while in flight.........right?

Seems like this is never brought up..........

john
  10. frankm

frankm New Member

John,
    That is correct. When the mission is finalized and it is a drogue mission the drogue is attached prior to takeoff. The mission requirements were usually known well in advance so there was plenty of time to attach the drogue.

Frank
  11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Frankm,
    Yep that is what I am talking about. So #30 sandpaper painted should work.

Bo you are correct on the drouge. Unless your braver than I.
  12. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135 paint scheme

Frank,
    Great pics of the 2 individual designator portraits!...can I use either of them to decal a plane...the one is is an PA ANG bird...how about the "Misbehavin"...is this a PA or which ANG does this bird belong to? All this detail is great...and it is really appreciated from you Air Force Veterans!!!.....but I just wanted to use this little icon...so let me say that I get "overloaded" at times!!!:razz: NOW THAT WAS FUN!!! Keep the detail and stories coming, guys:wink:
  13. frankm

frankm New Member

14. frankm

frankm New Member

Rob,
    I would love it if you used "Miss Behavin", she was the aircraft that I crewed when I was in the 171 ARW. She is a PaANG aircraft as is the other one. You can use either one of them. As far as I know both aircraft are at The bone yard at Davis-Monthan in Arizona. Most of the aircraft that we had when I was in the unit were sent to the bone yard as they were getting too old for economical conversion to T models.
    Will post more anecdotes if people aren't getting bored with my strolls down memory lane.

Frank
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

post...........post:grin: I for one love the stories.

Good pics by the way!

And thanks for the info on the drogues.......... kinda figured it would be hard finding a cloud you could stand on and stop the plane long enough to change it out.

Funny how the Navy and the Air Force settled on the different types of refueling systems. I see the advantages to both........... also the dis-advantages too.

Dave......... No man you got me beat in the Brave Department!

Glad to see you back posting.... still jumping around about the news.........so far that's a two for two for us in the paper modeling community... you and Jim G............ Great News on both accounts!

I bought GPMs B-1B other day........... WoWee that is one big model! 1/33 scale! A little birdy here on the site was able to let me have her. How's the re-coloring coming? I think I'll get this scanned and figure out if I've got enough support in the ceiling to hang it!

OR.......... I might scale it down to the scale of Bob's KC-135 and make a ceiling diorama..................hmmmmmmmmm Reckon I got any chance in H E Double Toothpicks of getting the wife to let that happen?

john
  16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Bo,
    You got to scale up the KC man. Then you can add the lights and small remote control unit. Then hang it from the Ceiling and tell the wife it's a new fangled light. :twisted:
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang!.......... See that's my problem.

Alway thinking small! That's why I will never be a millionare.........well that's not the only reason:grin:

Bob.......... found some great pictures of the undersides on airliners.net and jetphotos.net do a search on stratotanker and will get lots of hits.

john