Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien in 1/50 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jrts, Nov 14, 2004.

1. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

I've been at it again :lol: :lol:

Another of DeWaynes offerings.
    It has one and a half pages of parts, half page of instruction diagrams and two pages of tech info and history.

Started the build as before with the tail and wings. Then went on to the front bodie sections and drop tanks.
    Next will be to fit the nose guns, cockpit section and finish the spinner.

More soon

Rob

PS The only way to get me to stop torturing you all by wacking these together is for some of you to beat me to it by build them :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Ki 61

Hi Rob

Nice straight warp free wings again, you going to build all DeWaynes collection this week or will you leave a couple for next week. :lol:

I bought the 1/33 scale Corsair tonight prints out great (could not resist having a look)

Sevice from DeWayne is almost instantaineous and the price is dirt cheap for that much fun.

barry
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Last bit for tonight.

fitted the nose guns and finished the tail section, I will do the spinner tomorrow now.
    With luck I should have this done for tommorow night :roll:

Barry
    Well if no one else wants to build these little works of art then why not mate. Get stuck in and can't wait to see you build them. I have quite a few of these small planes from most of the designers/vendors and just thought it would be good fun to hit a load of them.
    Lots of the guys must have them so why not build them and for the price of $2 to $5 each they are a steal :shock:

More tomorrow

Rob
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I'm with you, Rob! :D

Build what you buy...these works of art should not remain on the printed sheet. I just don't have a lot of free time right now, but I have an airplane I bought recently that I just have to build! I'll leave you hanging for the time being, but I saw it posted by the designer a few weeks ago (could it be a whole month now?) and loved it at first sight. It's got a few enhancements built in that I think make it a great kit to build...and the graphics are absolutely out of this world!

Tell the truth, I never get tired of seeing your builds. :D
    You are an amazing modeler, mate, and the photos are a real treat!

Keep at it! Someone has to build them, eh? Glad it's you! :D

Cheers!

Jim
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Argh............
    The green clover strikes again! :D

I much preffer the " spots" color scheme for the Hien.
    Beautiful build and I'm just red from jealousy at the amount of time you can put into the hobby..
    One day (hopefully soon) everything comes back to normal and I will finally have enough time (and a desk!!!!) to build something :(
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mike

Sleeping only a few hours a day helps with the build time, 99% of my build time is after 10pm (I do sneak the odd hour or two in during the week :lol: )
    I have a good set up here, my home office NO one goes in it without me.
    THATS THE LAW in our house :lol:

Another good one is: -

(wife) Why get all these models if you don't intend to build them????

(Answer) OK love I see your point, I'll just have to build them then!! :lol:

Nahhhhhhh

The real reason I do them is it stops me from cracking up with the stress of work :roll:

Rob
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Good one!
    I always say that I got them years ago 8)

I finally have my own office at home (with lock on the doors!), now all I need a job closer to home so I don't have to wake up at 5am :(
  8. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

The build has been a bit slow due to the lack of instructions with the model. The design if fine but when you don't know a lot about aircraft this does make it very hard. Also the diagrams don't show some of the things you need to do to make it all fit right!!

The photo with the white arrow pointing at the nose, shows a tip if you build this kit.
    The edge of the part shown has to be feathered with cuts to make the former fit, if you don't do this when you fist cut the part out you will find it very hard to do later. The lines to make the cuts are marked on the part but you do have to look very hard to see them, the diagrams make no ref to this point :roll:

I did want to get this done today but I will have to wait for the last few parts to dry before I can fit them. So the final photos will be tomorrow now :cry:

A little tip for all designers out there would be to stuff the history until the instructions have been done, its no good finding out what it did in the past if you can't build it today :!:

Don't get me wrong here the model is well worth a build and for $2.00 you are getting a bargin

Next
  9. jrts

jrts Active Member

Next

The finished photos will be posted tomorrow

Rob
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Rob

Looks good as always see why you need the nicks now. It would look great in spotty camo I think.
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I have the spotty Hien and I will build it! :twisted:
  12. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mike

I look forward to reading the first construction report tonight
    I can't wait mate :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Rob
  13. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Well apart from a few small bit that are wet with glue, the model is finished.
    When I glued up all the bits last night I did not glue the drop tanks to the pylons that attach them to the plane so I have had to leave these off until the glue sets. As always the props are the last thing to go on.

For a small sacle model the exhaust detail is very good.
    This is a very good model to build if you can get your head around the instruction diagrams.

The photos are in no real order :roll:
    Soory for the poor close ups my camera does not have a zoom and if the photos had been taken any further away the detail would not show at all.
    Even without detailed instructions it has been fun doing it.

Regards

Rob

Next
  14. jrts

jrts Active Member

15. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

You're right, the details that are there look very good, particularly the landing gear. Good job! - L.
  16. Jim Krauzlis

She's got a very nice profile, Rob! :D

You did an excellent job with some difficult curves and joints. Another little gem!

Almost done...hope you can post some final photos soon so I can get my fix of fantastic builds for the night. :lol:

Cheers!

Jim
  17. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Only just thought I never posted the finished phots of this build :oops:

So here they are

Rob
  18. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks for those mate

barry
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Excellent, Rob! :D

Thanks for posting photos of the final build!

Jim