Kato Unitrack turnouts?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by thedowneaster, Oct 18, 2009.

1. thedowneaster

thedowneaster Brakeman

Hi,
    I heard a rumor that Kato unitrack turnouts have polarity-driven stall motors (like tortoise)....Meaning that you can give the turnout 12v dc constantly, and simply swap the polarity to switch the points.

Is this true?

I would like to use DPDT relays in my staging yard to align the turnouts to only the electrified tracks. This would simplify my set up!
  2. thedowneaster

thedowneaster Brakeman

Answered my own question...
    No, they are not stall motors. The only difference between these and the atlas snap switch is this: Kato runs DC and Atlas runs AC.

To make my project work I will be trying out the "switch tender" by Micro-Mark. They claim it works just like the tortoise, but only it costs $15.

My staging tracks are all "drive-thru" type tracks... When I decide to operate a train from the staging yard, the train's entire track will be electrified. In doing this, the coil of a relay will also be electrified and will flip the DC polarity of the switch tender to move the points toward the active siding.

For now, I will only mechanize the inlet side of the staging, leaving the outlet points free to slip through. Perhaps in the future I will want to be able to operate in either direction on the "south" and "north" bound track.