Kato Truck - SD40-2

ILCEN

Dec 27, 2004
I accidently took off one of the trucks on a Kato SD40-2. I have no idea how to reattach. When the truck came off there is two additional pieces, both tiny little black plastic pieces.

There doesn't appear to be anything to lock the trucks into, I have no idea what was holding the truck in the frame.

Any ideas? Thanks!

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
if these two tiny black pieces are separate from the truck then you broke off the tabs which hold the truck in place. in that case you have to order a new one.

ILCEN

Dec 27, 2004
Thanks. I ordered a new one from KatoUSA. I didn't see anyone else who carried them. The Kato trucks don't seem to pop in and out the as easily as the Atlas or LL ones.

Does anyone know if the Kato trucks are designed to pop straight out or are they suppose to be twisted somehow?

Thanks!

ILCEN

Dec 27, 2004
Yes, the Atlas trucks can come off when you don't want them. I'm wondering though if the Kato trucks are designed to be pulled straight out.

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
nope. neither straight nor twisted. kato trucks are not designed to be pulled out. you need to loosen the screws which hold the frames together.spread the frame a bit and the trucks will come out. if you simply pull you will break these tabs again.

as mike said, atlas locos occasionally drop a truck. when a loco takes a dive onto the floor the atlas truck will pop out and can be remounted easily. kato trucks usually need to be replaced after.

ILCEN

Dec 27, 2004
Thanks! I see the l screw and little nut on each end of the frame. I'm pretty sure I understand how to install the new truck now!