Kato switchers?

NORC

Dec 27, 2004
I think that Nato made the drive for the old con-cor SW units.

I do not own one of the Con-Cor SW's but I would think that the LL SW is better.

PS do you have more info on changing the worm gear?

Thanks

William

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Actually, they have a couple different Diesel Switchers....
BUT the are Euro and Japanese in style. The Japanese ones are in a DD series (ones I've seen) the others are REAL small they have almost a Kenworth form 2 axles rear & 1 front.

There are several on-line dealers that have them: N Scale Supply and Brooklyn Locomotive Works are 2 I can think of. Haven't had a chance to check The Gauge Supporters.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I guess pulling power isin't a big issue with switchers that do mostly yard work and even if they are called on to do some mainline hauling, the loads are usually lighter.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
My first N scale engine was a Lifelike SW-8 switcher that came in a Yardmaster starter set. It is one of my favorite engines. It is smooth running, the graphics are crisp, and so are the details. I think they can be found for around $30. Mine will pull around 7 older cars or 11 newer free rolling cars on level track. The Jan/Feb issue of N Scale Railroading has an article on converting the wheelsets to NWSL. They can easily be converted to knuckle couplers.

If you want Kato quality, Atlas makes a Baldwin VO-1000 switcher.

Secret weapon, thanks for the tip on the worm gear

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
Atlas also sells a Baldwin VO-1000 switcher. It is the best running N scale switcher out there.

Arnold sold a metal body S-2. It was a good puller, but the drive is now dated.

Kato has some center-cab and slightly off-center cab switchers. They could be bashed into North-American appearing locomotives.