Kato SD40 sideframe removal

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
I'm wanting to remove the sideframes of my SD40 so I can weather them.
I was told a while ago about the fragile small clips that keep them together.
Are there 2 clips, one at each end of the truck that keep the sideframes together?
Does one use a small screwdriver to separate the clips so the frame comes off nicely off the truck?
Anyone have any pics of their disassembled Kato truck as we all know a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks for your help everyone.:wave:

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Huh, I've never pried the sideframes off of my Kato SD40. However, if it is anything like my Kato Dash 9's... Keeping the truck upside down, you'll need to pry off the bottom plate to the truck first. The side frames should then slide off. Be careful though, as you'll expose the gears!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Heath, you could go with option #2:winki: , i NEVER take the side frames off an engine when weathering them, if any over spray from airbrushing, or a paint brush gets on the power contact bottom of the trucks(you know, the part that hits the rails), just use a wire brush(tooth brush type) to take off the paint, this takes only a minute to do and takes away any chances of breaking parts:winki: .

i have done that method on over 100 engines and had NO problems:thumb: .

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
well dog gone it Josh, you should have shown me that 100+ engines ago:toug::119: , it looks easy to make yourself out of card stock or styrene:winki: .

Honestly though, i think I'll stick to my way, that way the showing face of the wheels get covered too, and like i said, it takes but a minute to clean any over spray or paint off:winki: .

that IS a neat tool though, THANKS for posting it:thumb: .