Kato SD40-2 Decoder install question?

Hello everyone, can someone point me to some information on how to install a decoder in a Kato SD40-2? I have a NCE DA-SR Decoder i want to install in this train. Thanks!:wave:

UP SD40-2

Steve, though i am not familiar with the decoder you are installing, I HAVE installed sound decoders in ALL my Kato's:thumb: . it will take you longer to take the shell off that engine then to install the decoder;) . Kato's are one of the EASIEST engines to install decoders in:thumb: . there circuit boards are VERY decoder friendly:thumb: . take the shell off, look for the decoder socket, put the decoder plug into the socket, TA! DA! your done!!!:thumb: , well you have to put the shell back on;) tooth1 . if you go to my old thread "layout progress and engine pics..." go to page 10, there i have a tutorial on how to install sound decoders, you can install your regular decoder the same way.(just without the speakers;) tooth1 ) hope this helps:D . :D -Deano

Deano, thanks for the information, but i dont think were on the same page here. I have installed many plug n play decoders in Proto 2000's, but this is a little beyond me. I dont have a socket on this locomotive, so i dont know what to do. I'll include a picture of waht im talking about. Thanks again for any help!

P.S.. I really like your UP SD!:wave:

Attachments

• UP SD40-2.jpg
    UP SD40-2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 114

UP SD40-2

SORRY Steve, as i mentioned, i was NOT familiar with the decoder you are installing:( . after looking at your pic, i see you will have to "hot wire" the decoder in;) . see the two pins in the center of your new decoder, those are for the 2 "engine power wires". the four pins on each side are for the wheel pickups and lights. the four outside (4 corner)pins are for your wheel pickups. the 2 pins on the inside(both ends)are for your lights. i know for a FACT, set the two power wires from the engine to the center pins on your new decoder. ALSO the 4 corner pins on the new decoder go to the wheel pickup wires. as far as the exact light pins, i know they are the inside pins, just not sure witch:eek:ops: . save the Kato circuit board somewhere when you are done. :thumb: :D -Deano **BTW, you couldn't have picked a better engine to add a decoder to!:thumb: :D

UP SD40-2

trainsteve2435 said:
Thanks Deano, can i re use the LED's that came in the Kato?
none of MY kato's have motors like is in yours, but i will say this, the Kato lights in my engines worked GREAT without changing them:thumb: . hope i have helped. good luck!:D -Deano

Deano, sorry to ask, but is there any way you post me a pic of one of your installs that you had to hard wire? I just dont want to mess up quite yet!:eek:ops: Thanks!:wave:

UP SD40-2

trainsteve2435 said:
Deano, sorry to ask, but is there any way you post me a pic of one of your installs that you had to hard wire? I just don't want to mess up quite yet!:eek:ops: Thanks!:wave:
Steve, i can help you:D i have an engine with a Soundtraxx decoder i am taking out to put an MRC Brillance decoder in:thumb: check back in a bit, and i will post a detailed pic of what you need to do. the Soundtraxx decoder is about identical to what you have, yours just don't have a speaker;) tooth1 . :D Deano

UP SD40-2

Here It Is!

OK Steve, i have drawn in EXACTLY where your wires need to go, in red.:thumb: as you can see it is quite simple:thumb: . FORGET the purple wires in the pic, they go to a speaker;) . as for the lights, see the 2 pins in the center on each side, the 2 wires from the lights go there. 2 for the front, 2 for the back:thumb: . doesn't matter witch wire goes where for the lights(as long as you use the CENTER 2 pins):thumb: CANT GUARANTEE the lights wont blow out:( , don't know if your lights are DCC compatible. hope this helps!!!:thumb: :D -Deano View attachment 29878

Attachments

• DSC06240.JPG
    DSC06240.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 114

UP SD40-2

DOH!!!, forgot to mention, TIN your wires before the install. AND use a LOW HEAT soldering gun!!! you DON'T want to melt your circuit board!!!! DON'T KEEP THE GUN ON THE BOARD LONG!!! GOOD LUCK!!:thumb: :D -Deano

demorest

I new at this

:) I new at the DCC systeam i like what it can do. so my quetion is this can eny train be setup on the systeam? thank you:)

UP SD40-2

demorest said:
:) I new at the DCC systeam i like what it can do. so my quetion is this can eny train be setup on the systeam? thank you:)
demorest:wave:, WELCOME to the forum!:thumb: :D . every engine that HAS a DCC decoder in it, CAN be set up on the system;) . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

demorest said:
cool. what if the engean is not set up for one.:)
well...if your engine DOES NOT have a decoder in it, you would have to decide weather its worth putting a decoder in it;). if the engine IS DCC ready, installing a decoder is not that hard to do. if the engine is NOT DCC ready(it will say on the box or paperwork that came with the engine)then you would have to "hard wire" a decoder in it. the pic i have posted in this thread shows one way to do that:thumb: . if you are a beginner at installing decoders, i DON'T recommend "hardwiring" a decoder in until you have done a couple easier decoder installs;) . if your engine IS DCC ready, i have a tutorial posted in my "layout progress & engine pics" thread, that shows how to install decoders in DCC ready engines, its on page 10:thumb: . the tutorial is on installing "sound decoders", HOWEVER, you would install a basic decoder the same way;) . hope this helps!:D -Deano

I got a crude, but accurate pic of an hardwiring an athearn bb, just something I scribbled w paint 1 day
dcconathearnoldbb.bmp

demorest

thank you very much that helps a lot i have never did it before but i have exp. in doing some stuff like it before with my RC car.

demorest

if you have a bachman controler can you use eny decoder or does it have to be made by the same compony. please excuse my spelling. thank you for the help.

UP SD40-2

demorest said:
if you have a bachman controler can you use eny decoder or does it have to be made by the same compony. please excuse my spelling. thank you for the help.
Bachmann's controllers are the most BASIC DCC system you can get. i think it would probably work on "any" decoder, but have herd the sounds in sound decoders(if you plan on getting on) will NOT work. PERHAPS there is SOMEONE out there that had/has the Bachmann DCC system, they could be of more help on this;) . i use Prodigy Advance, so am not sure:( . :) -Deano

demorest

thank you very much on this. do you have any links that i can use that have on DDC system all the ones i have don't help very much.