Kato N Scale Unitrack cleaning

Foreverknyte

Hello All,

I am planning to purchase a Centerline track cleaner for my Kato N scale Unitrack layout. What cleaner should I use? My Kato dealer recommends Goo Gone, as does Centerline. On the other hand, a Kato rep told me that Goo Gone leaves a residue on the track that could actually cause issues. :confused:

Has anyone had any experience with a particular cleaner for their Unitrack?

Thanks for your help!
Foreverknyte

HPRL

I own an Altas Track Cleaning car and I am looking for a fluid to put into the reservoir. Meanwhile I have been using the hand method with an eraser type scrub found at any hobby shop. Good Luck.

C

Catt

The problem with Goo Gone is most people who complain about it forget that your supposed to wipe it off.I mean after all thats how it cleans in the first place. :D

cidchase

Don't want to be an alarmist here, but I would be REAL cautious about using
lacquer thinner (MEK) on tracks because of potential damage to plastic ties.
May be it's OK if contained in the pad on top of the rail, but be careful. Like the
article said, it will dissolve many plastics and remove most paint. I would be sure
that no plastic-wheeled cars follow it, even though the article said that Delrin
and Nylon are unaffected. MEK is also highly flammable. It's definitely not a
"hobby-happy" chemical, although invaluable under some circumstances.

HPRL

I have the Atlas Track Cleaning Car and I still don't know what cleaning solution I should use in it. I wrote to Atlas and I am waiting for their response. Will keep you posted.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I have(still do) the N scale Centerline track cleaner. Mine came in a little kit, which included Handi-Wipes cut to the right width, and...a small sample bottle of Goo-Gone. I never had a problem with it. One of these days I'm gonna get the HO version.