Kato F7's (super chief)

SuperChiefRules

Dec 2, 2006
Hi!

I am in the process of superdetailing my Kato F7's, and was wondering if there is a trick to getting the Z scale couplers onto the front of the A units? According to the directions on the micro trains box, it is very simple, however I am running into clearence issues. I am thinking this might (very strong might) be because of the fact that perhaps my Kato F7's are newer than the ones the author used in his article, and eprhaps have been machined differently??? However, I am probably doing something wrong!
Also does any body have a picture of the F7's with the new fiber optics, installed as per the article? The only reason I ask is because I want to see what it looks like lit up before I install them. The article has a picture of the unlit version.

Thank-you in advance for all your help!!!

SuperChiefRules

Dec 2, 2006
oops

SORRY!!!

The locos and all are in N scale! I am using z scale couplers on the front of the A units because they look better! I am running into clearence issuses because the 'draft boxes' (i think) are too long and rubbing against the frame.

sorry for the confusion!!!!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
No problems...I'd still like to see a Super Chief detailed out...are you using the BMLA F/E unit detailing kit or some other detailing company?

SuperChiefRules

Dec 2, 2006
I am using American Limited Models for the diaphragms, Gold Medal Models diesel details (wipers, mirrors, handrails...) and Sunrise Enterprise speed recorders. This is pretty much verbatim from the July issue of MR.

I will take some before and after pictures, and post them once I am done. I may have to postpone this project until I get done with school for the semester.......[:(]

The folks at Kato did a great job with the locos, and the cars, however some are just generic budd cars ( i think) and arent 100% accurate. But for the most part the details are to hard to see (another reason i love n scale!) However, to make them look better I will be applying some details, diaphragms, and mu hoses etc.