Kato AC4400 Issue

BCRailer

I am wondering which coupler to use with my AC4400's......long or short. Any feedback would help out greatly.

BCRailer said:
I am wondering which coupler to use with my AC4400's......long or short. Any feedback would help out greatly.

I like the Kato couplers, but Micro Trains is what most people prefer. I personally love mixing them, since ive never experienced any problems. short looks better than the longer coupler, and ive never had any problems with any curve.

jesso

In my opinion, the shorter ones look nicer, but what matters is whether or not they derail your cars. Testing on your layout is the most important thing. If you run your trains and it doesn't derail, keep the short. If not, the long one's work. I have found with mine, it depends on the engine. I have two SD70MAC's; neither derail cars from the rear coupler, but one of them derails cars from the front coupler, so I have a long one there. I also have one SD70m, and it normally pulls really long cars (automax's) and it would derail the cars on one switch, so I put the long one one and no more derailments.
Again, testing on your layout is the most important thing.

BCRailer

I am going to convert the couplers to Micro-Trains #2003. I really don't care too much for the Kato couplers.

BCRailer

I am in the process of designing a modular layout. I am not 100% sure what my radiuses will be yet. In chatting with some people, they say minimum 19 inch should work. Any suggestions ?

I had to use the longer shank on my SD90MAC for my layout which has got 9 3/4" radius. The shorter shank derails my wagons. They look horrible though.