Kaslo Shops Products????

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Kaslo Shops Products F59PH Metrolink

Hi everybody,

was thinking about buying a shell kit from Kaslo Shops. I bought a F59PH Shell kit, exclusively ditributed by George's Trains of Toronto. I'm more a passenger guy and wanted to build a F59PH in Metrolink colours. It's different to the Go Transit loco, but I'm not a rivet counter. After weeks (actually 8) of waiting, I got it on my desk. The kit had to wait 7 weeks in customs warehouse somewher in Germany before they let it pass! Every hint or tip is still welcome.Also any additional information on the prototype will be welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Tobias
:thumb:

BTW: Anybody out there who know how to model Nippon-Sharyo gallery cars:wave:

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi David,

thanks for your post. I've already ordered a shell from george's trains in Toronto. Now I've to wait. Will post a kind of short review on this thread when I have the shell in my hands.

Tobias

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
caliban said:
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about buying a shell kit from Kaslo Shops. I'm more a passenger guy a want to build a F59PH Metrolink. It differs a little bit from Go Transit's locos but I'm not a rivet counter. Every hint or tip is welcome. I'll post pictures in case I'll get one. Also any additional information on the prototype will be welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Tobias
:thumb:

BTW: Anybody out there who know how to model Nippon-Sharyo gallery cars:wave:

Just curious, by "Metrolink" are you going to model the commuter trains operating here in the Los Angeles area?

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Actually a little bit farther north, the Bay Area. But I like the look of the F59PH and Metrolink. I've a Metrolink Bombardier cabcar and a complete Caltrain set including custom F40PH. I'm right back from the basement, where I had painted a Gallery car to match the MDTX cars that were on lease to caltrain a few years ago.

Tobias

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Unbelievable!!

Here's a first overview, right after opening the box.
You get a lot of foto etched parts and high quality resin. What you don't get: locomotive chassis, MU hoses, front/rear handrails and the longer grabs for the doors.
It'll take the some time to finish this kit and I still have no chassis.

Tobias

Attachments

• F59_instructions.jpg
    F59_instructions.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 297
  • F59_drawings.jpg
    F59_drawings.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 271
  • F59_overview.jpg
    F59_overview.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 282
  • F59_cab.jpg
    F59_cab.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 271
  • F59_cab_side.jpg
    F59_cab_side.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 264

dsfraser

May 13, 2004
You will find the F59PH is pretty good. There is some effort required in bending the handrails and grabs, but the shell is accurate. I know this because I did the drawings for the instructions, looked through over 250 photos of GO Train and Metrolink units, measured the test castings with digital calipers, and critically compared the model with photos. I did find errors, but to their credit, the errors in the original castins that I found were promptly corrected by John, at considerable cost to Kaslo. The versions released have completely new shells and new frets, and are are as good as they can be given the state of the art with resin shells. Buy with confidence, but beware that as with any resin kit, modelling skills are required.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
caliban said:
What is the correct blue for Metrolink? It looks a bit like Conrail blue on fotos.

I'm not familier with the Northern California Metrolink, but if you send Miles Western a p.m., he could probably help you out. He lives in the San Francisco Bay area.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi all,

Here're some photos of the Kaslo Shell with the first parts glued on. Next to the Kaslo F59PH shell is IHP's F40PHL shell. The IHP shell is right out of the box and not cleaned. I'm still unsure about the blue on the Metrolink engines, anybody from the L.A. region out there who could give a hint on the paint?

Attachments

• Kaslo Ihp1.jpg
    Kaslo Ihp1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Kaslo Ihp2.jpg
    Kaslo Ihp2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Kaslo Ihp3.jpg
    Kaslo Ihp3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 209

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi,

made a little progress on the F59PH. There are some differences between the GO Transit and the Metrolink engines. I need to figure out were the bell and the horn is located on the Metrolink F59PH, couldn't find a top view pic in the web.
announce1 ANY HELP IS WELCOME!!!

Attachments

• ph1.jpg
    ph1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 200
  • ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 193
  • ph3.jpg
    ph3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 166
  • ph4.jpg
    ph4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 194
  • ph5.jpg
    ph5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 167

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
dsfraser said:
You will find the F59PH is pretty good. There is some effort required in bending the handrails and grabs, but the shell is accurate...

Scott,

you're so right. It's more than pretty good, the datailling is awesome! Nonetheless I found some parts to change or to add for the Metrolink loco. And questions, the exact location of the horn, ...

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info! I found a few pic's in the internet showing a horn behind the dynamic brake fan. Would you e-mail me the your pics? To answer your question, parts for both are includeed in the kit!!! The main difference is the rearmost screen, for phase one you have to cut some material away. As far as I could figure out from the pics, most Metrolink F59PH are Phase II. You have to drill the holes for the front marker lights, scratch build the rear marker light bases, change the bell on the front to a single red light and add a vent on the left side of the cab. I can highly recommend the kit, btw I've a SD60F kit waiting to follow the F59PH and the F40PHL through the "production line".

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tobias, i think you are taking on an AWESOME project:thumb: . those models look like they have GREAT detail:thumb: . i cant wait to see how they turn out!!!:D -Deano

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi :wave: ,

most of the bigger parts are on the shell now. I will leave the screen over the radiators off until I've finished the paintjob. The radiators will be painted black and then masked until the rest is finished. I also added the marker lights on the front and a few other details like lift rings and grab irons on the rear. Next step is to bend the rest of the handrails ,to add the last missing small parts, scratch build the cab vent and rear marker light housing. Final step is the chassis, but still along way to go.
announce1I still need information for the correct position of the horn, cab vent, bell and antennas.

:thumb:Thanks:thumb:,

Attachments

• DSC02186.JPG
    DSC02186.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02187.JPG
    DSC02187.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02188.JPG
    DSC02188.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 89

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Sorry to dig up an old thread, any updates?

I've been wanting to model a Metrolink F59PH, though I was going to start with the Athearn F59PHI. I did however model a F59PHI once recently, and I found the blue on the unit I was modeling was more blue then "periwinkle" as Metrolink states it is. Pick a good prototype and stick to it!

I chose Testors Deep See Blue for my blue, however I have no clue as to what to do for the more Periwinkle.