Kaiser Wilhelm's Yacht Meteor

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
I have been too ill to do very much modelling lately. However I am feeling somewhat better so thought I would try something relatively simple to get back in the groove . . .

This is a 1/250 - Kaiser Wilhelm's Yacht Meteor IV. It's from 'WILHELMSHAVEN PAPERMODELS' as a download. It was a pleasure to build and includes Meteor III and Meteor IV. I am not too happy with my results (it was a learning experience) I will definitely build this again.

Sorry no build pix . . .

meteor4.jpg

meteor2.jpg

meteor1.jpg

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
The build is not as clean as I would like and the masts are bent/curved at the top.

The rigging is done with invisible thread coloured with a sharpie then attached with CA. Then I borrow my wifes hair dryer/blower to tighten it up.

David H said:
So why are you unhappy with her? They sure look like good results.

What did you use for rigging - don't say fly tying silk, I have not sourced any in the UK yet.

D

Z

Zathros

Looks great to me but I love anything with sails. and there seem to be few builders of sailboats.

Bluenoser

Feb 16, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think it turned out rather nice. Can't see why you are not pleased with the results.
If I may offer a suggestion for the next build you plan to do on it, you will want to rig the Jib topsail differently. The edge of the sail marked with the red line is the side of the sail that should be attached to the stay (rope).

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks Bluenoser. I'll keep an eye on that for next time.

She reminds me of HMCS ORIOLE. A Schooner rigged Ketch I had the privelage, of being invited to sail on recently. It was a great week sailing the Straits of Georgia and Juan de Fuca.

PIDL2.jpg

Bluenoser said:
I think it turned out rather nice. Can't see why you are not pleased with the results.
If I may offer a suggestion for the next build you plan to do on it, you will want to rig the Jib topsail differently. The edge of the sail marked with the red line is the side of the sail that should be attached to the stay (rope).

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
dansls1 said:
http://www.papermod.de/esd-a-shop/home.html

By 'download' model, he meant it's a purchase and download if you weren't sure. I see a few other sailing ships available from the site as well.
http://www.papermod.de/esd-a-shop/home.html. There are a few sail type models there at reasonable prices. When I got this one I also got LORELEY. They also have available for download: CONSTITUTION & TOVARISHCH ex Gorch Fock 1. That is in addition the regular printed releases.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
I have to agree, that's a real sweet looking boat!

Great job! Sure looks a lot better than the picture shown at the download shop! Also seems to have a bit more involved rigging than that picture depicts.

Were the top masts rolled paper/card or something else? I usually like to roll the paper around something more sturdy, such as florist wire or thin wire that I've straightened by rolling a length under a steel ruler on the work surface...especially when you are going to put a bit of tension on it with something like the rigging.

I am building the Constitution, a seemingly endless project, but I figure I'm enjoying doing it slowly, don't want to rush, so that's fine for me. Just getting to the masting and rigging now, actually...hope my rigging comes out half as nice as your's did, and I'll be happy.

I hope you feel much better soon...and I'm looking forward to your next sailing ship build.:)

Cheers!
Jim

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
The masts are paper rolled over tapered bamboo rods. For the second attempt I plan to make the rods more robust and soaked in CA.

I look forward to seeing your build of the Constitution. That must involve some complex rigging.

As to my health, thank you -

Jim Krauzlis said:
I have to agree, that's a real sweet looking boat!

Great job! Sure looks a lot better than the picture shown at the download shop! Also seems to have a bit more involved rigging than that picture depicts.

Were the top masts rolled paper/card or something else? I usually like to roll the paper around something more sturdy, such as florist wire or thin wire that I've straightened by rolling a length under a steel ruler on the work surface...especially when you are going to put a bit of tension on it with something like the rigging.

I am building the Constitution, a seemingly endless project, but I figure I'm enjoying doing it slowly, don't want to rush, so that's fine for me. Just getting to the masting and rigging now, actually...hope my rigging comes out half as nice as your's did, and I'll be happy.

I hope you feel much better soon...and I'm looking forward to your next sailing ship build.:)

Cheers!
Jim

Bluenoser

Feb 16, 2006
Nova Scotia
I find that the bamboo is good for making masts as well. Not sure what you mean buy making it more robust. I am guessing that to are refering to where the lower mast and upper mast overlap?

I bought the TOVARISHCH, but have not built it yet. Some years ago I built the Yacht AMERICA (also from the same manufacturer as the Yacht Meteor) and it turned out very nice.

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
Not sure how I missed this thread, but your build looks great! Very partial to those ships with sails... Looking back on my building of the Bluenose II in wood, I think I will tackle one of these in paper! Not to mention, all the plans I have lying around here - perhaps I will force myself to learn how to design one of these babies! Thanks for the cool pics and inspiration!

Chris

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Bluenoser

The overlap can be stronger, but I think just soaking the upper portion in CA will do the trick. The upper portions were made of bamboo skewers cut down very thin.

Clashter

Thanks - I think a Bluenose card model would be great!!

dansls1

May 7, 2007
I didn't say it in my previous posts - but great looking ship!

As far as masts, has anybody tried rolling solid 'inserts' from standard copier / printer paper, gluing the roll into a rod and then using that to wrap the printed paper masts around - so you'd end up with an all paper mast? I suppose it wouldn't be as strong as using wire or bamboo - but it might be stiff enough for certain applications.

Bluenoser

Feb 16, 2006
Nova Scotia
The overlap can be stronger, but I think just soaking the upper portion in CA will do the trick. The upper portions were made of bamboo skewers cut down very thin.

You can gain some strength by moving your masthead caps out to the ends of the overlap. I do this with a long strip of thin paper and start by wrapping several turns around one mast and the the remainder around both masts, gluing as you go along the wrap. Do this for both top and bottom of the overlap.

The link below is from another modeler who also made the METEOR. It contains a full build description of the model. Its in German, but the pictures are good.
http://www.papership.de/modelle/meteor/meteor.htm

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
dansls1 said:
I didn't say it in my previous posts - but great looking ship!

As far as masts, has anybody tried rolling solid 'inserts' from standard copier / printer paper, gluing the roll into a rod and then using that to wrap the printed paper masts around - so you'd end up with an all paper mast? I suppose it wouldn't be as strong as using wire or bamboo - but it might be stiff enough for certain applications.

The unsurpassed Cleo thread http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=249 inspired me to try this on V108.

A little patiece and trial and error and it worked fine.

I used a cylindrical lead-in to get the taperd tube tight and ran in thinned white glue to lock it up. I also jacketed the "rod" in thin white paper and painted this grey. A longer mast would be more difficult but will work if you roll - unroll - roll - unroll around thinner and thinner mandrels, experiment with different ratios of triangle or cone blanks, make the "core" longer than you need and trim it down.

D

PS Sorry if I sound like a broken record or come over ticked off. Hot and tired.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions. I added bands to my masts but not as far out as on the Meteor I model (that's a beauty by the way).

I have tried the solid inserts method and it is good for short tubes, not long ones and the upper mast sections are too narrow to get the insert into once glued.

I am proceeding with the ca plan and will move the bands closer to the overlap ends. I'll post results here . . .