KaDee

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
I am not sure where to post this question, but if I am wrong - Oh Well. I want to cut off the non operating couplers on the front of my steam engines and replace them with opperating knuckle couplers. Can you direct me to a "how to? There may be a thread already on this but I don't know what to search for. Any and all help would be appreciated. I am working with HO scale engines on the IHC price level. Thanks Frank

Hi Frank, :wave:

So far I've only done this on an IHC 4-4-0, but it looks about the same on others.
It's just a matter of creating enough clearance to glue in a Kadee box. Use a
Dremel, chisel point knife, etc. to create the space you need. You may find it a bit
of a hack job, but the underside won't show. I put the box against the pilot,
with the lid facing down. Instead of drilling through the pilot for a mounting
screw, there's a plastic pin through the box and lid locating everything. It's all
glued with ACC. I realize this isn't exactly the detail that you asked for, but if
you want or need to double-head, ya just gotta go for it!! :D :D

I'm sure some others have suggestions also, I've only done the one loco. :thumb:

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
Hack job

Thanks Cid - this is what I expected. I guess if it was easy more models would have it. Can you post a pic of how yours looks, or if anyone else has done it, a picture is worth a 1000 xmas presents. I do have to double head and with todays engines it is functional as well as a great look. thanks again and Merry Christmas. Frank

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I put a front coupler on my Athear Genesis Mikado. I used a Kaadee #4 coupler. The shank has a square end that is made to take a spring, and a little "horn" on one side. Just in front of the square was a small hole in the shank. I cut the square part off, and used a 0-72 screw in the small hole in the shank to mount the coupler in the stock Athearn pilot.