Kadee Electromagnet uncoupler

Richard Gude

May 31, 2005
What kind of success have you had with the Kadee electric uncoupler. I want to place one on the main and I know that a regular uncoupler may cause false uncoupling as a train passes over it on the main. Any advice?

Thanks, rhg

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
You can use an ordinary one and have it hinged so it drops down to prevent false uncoupling - have string or wire in tube to pull it up into the operating position.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
shortliner said:
You can use an ordinary one and have it hinged so it drops down to prevent false uncoupling - have string or wire in tube to pull it up into the operating position.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

I agree, you just cut a hole in the table where you want the uncoupler to be, out it on a hinged plate to swing it up for uncoupling, and then put a thin piece of styrene over the hole, lay track and ballast over the styrene. Maybe mark a tie or put a sign of some sort in the center of where the magnet would be so you can locate your couplers properly for uncoupling. If you use the electromagnetic uncoupler, you have to be real careful. If you hold the button down more than just a momentary contact, it is real easy to burn up the coil.

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi Richard,

I tested the electro-magnets and decided to scrap them:

1. The delayed feature did not work correctly--did not separate the couplers enough.
2. They got really hot after only a few seconds--I couldn't trust them.
3. They are tedius to assemble and install.
4. They look terrible.

I agree with the above advice. Although, I went with the permanent under the table magnets by McHenry (Kadee moved the couplers too far) and have had no problems. They work correctly and I have had no false uncouplings. I operate a small shelf layout, and realize that a long fast mainline run might pose different problems.

Good luck.

Bill