Kadee Electromagent uncouplers

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Greetings all :)

OK, I am using kadee couplers on my new mini HO layout, actually #58's throughout so far.

I am not keen on using the permanent magnets to uncouple, as certainly in N-gauge, I have had unreliable and unwanted uncoupling so I was looking at the Electromagnet ones but they look AWFUL sitting in the track.. in fact hideous, oh god no! and Oik!!!! sprang to mind all at the same point.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried scrapping all the plastic junk on them and mounting the electromagnets with the pole pieces level with the underside of the sleepers / ties and then ballasting over and whether they still had the power to work at all?

Just an early thought before I start go looking for alternative solutions, such as skewers :D

Regards

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If it is really a mini-layout, you migh want to stick with the skewers. You can uncouple any where, any time...!

I say this as one of our local clubs prepares to remove all magnets from the display "time-saver" module we built.

Andrew

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi Andrew :)

You may just be right.. however, I have to believe, well almost, that in this day and age of computer control, DCC and cheap electronics, there has to be some way of getting reliable and affordable remote uncoupling.

You know, today I was even thinking up ways to have an under track permanent magnet being able to be lifted up or lowered to do the job...

Quite sad really :)

Regards

F

Fred_M

A while back in MR there was an article about bolting washers to an electromagnic kadee uncoupler and mounting it under the layout. The washers improve the magnetic field and allow just the tops of the washers to be visible from above. The author said it worked great. You can look it up in a MR index, or maybe go over there and search their forum for it :( . But it looked easy and I bet you could figure it out pretty easily with what I told you. One thing I can say is the pin height is very import. to reliable magnetic uncoupling. Maybe somebody else here will remember the article and know what month it was published. Fred

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Graham,

DCC controlled couplers may be here, at least on locos. And as Fred mentioned, there are ways to modify/improve uncouplers. But I still prefer the skewer, because that's the way the prototype does it... ok, not with skewers, but a guy has to walk over and yank the uncoupling lever. I would save the magnets (electo- or otherwise) for areas you cannot reach.

Now, turnout control with DCC, that's another matter... ;)

Andrew

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
KADEE makes and under the track uncoupler. It is their product number 308. Walthers number is 380-308.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
ok can i get a bit of info on these "skewer's"? picture's and and how they work?
I am working on a project that will change the way i run trains at home rather than with the club but will work just like the real thing with cut levers. the idea is for the cut lever to be attached under the coupler so when the train roll's by slowly i can take a "small" skew driver and pull up on the cut lever and it open's the knuckle and leave's it open but however this can not be done with just any coupler like kadee in which case has no "gut's" for the knuckle on another car to push on. i'll have to find the addy for the site but i know a guy who now makes coupler's that are prototypicall to the last detail. i bought a set and i was amazed. they even give the car an even more realistic look b/c the knuckle's can be left open or closed.