Kadee couplers on Athearn SD40-2's?

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Hi all, I have a pair of Athearn SD40-2s that have the removable coupler boxes and I was wondering if there was a way or is it possible to put Kadee coupler boxes were the athearn ones go.
any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Sean

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Our club just ordered two Athearn SD40's last September. I replaced the stock couplers with Kadee #5's without changing the coupler pockets. After re-reading your post, maybe you have an older version with different coupler's. Kadee has a website that I believe lists which couplers go with most of the major manufacturers loco's.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Athearn's SD40-2s have several different vintages...

Mine are the old Blue-Box SD40-2s with the coupler mounting tab positioned too low, and they required underset #47 Kadee couplers. I had to drill #50 holes on the coupler-mounting tabs and tap them for 2-56 screws to mount the Kadee #47s.

If you have a newer-vintage Athearn SD40-2, it might have the coupler mount at the right height to take a standard #5 Kadee.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Jim Krause said:
Our club just ordered two Athearn SD40's last September. I replaced the stock couplers with Kadee #5's without changing the coupler pockets.

They looked like they would fit, I just didn't know if they would fit in the coupler pockets before I went out and bought em. Thanks for the help :)

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Tom, I had recently bought a new SD40-2 not to long ago, it did come in a blue box. It has the diesel engine on the front if that matters. And my other one is older but it has the same. There pretty new.