k.u.k. Marine Wien

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Corporal_Trim said:
Jim, you're right ! The green doesn't look bad at all. Distinctive, even. :) Veribus Unitis it is then, plus we know some of JSC's tricks already. :wink:

Good choice! :D Looks like Wien is going to be getting a fellow Austro-Hungarian fleetmate! As a hopeless battlecruiser buff, I can understand your temptation to start on Seydlitz - but german text-only instructions! :shock: Perhaps, someone here knows a good German translator website that you could use whenever you get around to Seydlitz?

A.J.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Thanks for the link to the photo etch railings, Jim! I'd been looking around for 1:250 scale railings to no avail. At $22.50 a sheet, does anyone know how many inches worth of railing you get per sheet? Also, does anyone know how you connect the railings to one another?

A.J.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
A.J.
I would send a short email to the Lighthouse folks and ask them if they could answer your questions about the photo etched railings.
I have ALWAYS found them to be quick, courteous and extremely helpful and friendly whenever I sent them a question about one thing or another.
A great group of card modelers serving card modelers!! :D
Jim

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Jimkrauzlis said:
A.J.
I would send a short email to the Lighthouse folks and ask them if they could answer your questions about the photo etched railings.

Sounds like a good idea, Jim. I think I'll do just that. It looks like a great site with some really good prices on their models!

A.J.

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Ajax said:
barry said:
this site does good german/english

http://www.freetranslation.com/web.htm

Thanks, Barry! This should also come in handy for my JSC Lion instructions, as I'm pretty sure they're in German, not Polish.

A.J.

JSC is a Polish company. Both of my JSC models have come with instructions in Polish, but with an English instructions supplement included. Perhaps I just lucked out.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
I ran a few lines of the instructions through the German translator with no problem, so they definitely seem to be German. Words like "Achtung!" in capital letters are repeated throughout. :D

And even though I already have 2 unbuilt models :eek:ops:, I couldn't pass up a great bargain on JSC's Goeben. It turns out that its bound instructions are also in German instead of Polish. However, Goeben did come with a couple sheets of xeroxed English instructions tucked inside! 8)

A.J.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
biBill said:
I have found that Alta Vista's Babel Fish also works well for German-English translations, and for Polish-English, I use the Poltran site, with mixed results. You always have to do some interpretation.

Thanks for the additional links, Bill!

A.J.

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Ajax said:
I ran a few lines of the instructions through the German translator with no problem, so they definitely seem to be German. Words like "Achtung!" in capital letters are repeated throughout. :D

And even though I already have 2 unbuilt models :eek:ops:, I couldn't pass up a great bargain on JSC's Goeben. It turns out that its bound instructions are also in German instead of Polish. However, Goeben did come with a couple sheets of xeroxed English instructions tucked inside! 8)

A.J.

Sorry, Ajax. I apologize for not crediting you with being able to tell German from Polish. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: Very strange why Polish kits would come with German instructions though. I'm starting to question my sanity here. :wink: Let me check the Veribus Unitis..."Wydawntictwo JSC, Gdansk, Poland"...okay, I'm not crazy yet. :)

Hey, don't worry about the unbuilt models ! If two's all you've got, you're way ahead of most of us. Let's see that Goeben build now ! :D It's a handsome ship with a unique history.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Corporal_Trim said:
Sorry, Ajax. I apologize for not crediting you with being able to tell German from Polish. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:
No worries, Steve, I was second guessing myself as well! :lol: I've gotten both of them off eBay, so I have no idea as to how they originally got to the States. However, when you consider the fact that Germany and Poland share a common border, I suspect that JSC must print a number of kits in German for sale in that country.

Let's see that Goeben build now ! :D It's a handsome ship with a unique history.
Yes, she certainly is! :D It's a shame that nothing could be worked out in the '70s to preserve her as a museum. I'm still planning on building Oslabya first, but Goeben will be next after that. I had originally thought Goeben might be a good tune-up before trying Lion since JSC's website rates its difficulty level at '3' as opposed to Lion's '4,' but after studying the construction diagrams, I can see the 2 are very different creatures. Goeben's hull seems to be constructed of a series of boxes, whereas Lion’s is framed by arranging the various base plates that provide the outline of the ship about a long triangular keel that runs the length of the ship. You then apparently build upwards by attaching bulkheads, each with a triangle cut out of their bottom, to the keel.

A.J.

JRSeese

Feb 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
Ajax said:
JSC's website rates its difficulty level at '3' as opposed to Lion's '4,' but after studying the construction diagrams, I can see the 2 are very different creatures.

Haven't come across JSC's website yet. Curious as to what it includes, what is the URL?

Josh

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Ajax said:
Corporal_Trim said:
Sorry, Ajax. I apologize for not crediting you with being able to tell German from Polish. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:
No worries, Steve, I was second guessing myself as well! :lol: I've gotten both of them off eBay, so I have no idea as to how they originally got to the States. However, when you consider the fact that Germany and Poland share a common border, I suspect that JSC must print a number of kits in German for sale in that country.....

Goeben's hull seems to be constructed of a series of boxes, whereas Lion’s is framed by arranging the various base plates that provide the outline of the ship about a long triangular keel that runs the length of the ship. You then apparently build upwards by attaching bulkheads, each with a triangle cut out of their bottom, to the keel.

A.J.

That explains the language mystery. :)

I'm having a hard time visualizing the Lion hull construction. If I re-read it a few more times, I'm sure it might sink in. :wink: BTW, I started the Viribus Unitis this past weekend, and it's the usual JSC central box/side bulkhead internal hull construction. All straightforward enough to begin with. After that, the 150mm secondary armament battery construction looks like it will be rather tricky.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Corporal_Trim said:
BTW, I started the Viribus Unitis this past weekend, and it's the usual JSC central box/side bulkhead internal hull construction. All straightforward enough to begin with.

*nudge nudge*

I don't suppose you'd happen to have a few pictures? ;) :D

*nudge nudge*

A.J.

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Not yet, A.J. I promise to start a construction thread, but it's a little early. I'll finish the box formers tomorrow and probably all of the bulkhead hull formers by the weekend. I'll take a shot at the end of each stage, but it's probably not worth starting the thread until I get into the construction of the casemate guns.

One problem already. I tacked the Wien's hull to the construction base using rubber cement last winter and it worked okay. But now it's hot in my city (around 100F) and the bottom of the ship is popping loose here and there. I'm re-attaching with white glue as I go, hopefully things aren't going to get too messed up right out of the chute on this build.