k.u.k. Marine Wien

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
You can see the rigging a little better here and in the nexf views. I started out trying to do it with thread and hating life. My eyes aren't what they used to be, I have to work under magnification. Trying to tie knots and fumbling around with the thread, I managed to break off the main mast twice, knocking over ventilators and what have you...Grrrr ! :cry:

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
I went to a train shop, picked up .006 and .008 brass wire from Detail Associates, and this did the trick. All I did was drill minute holes in the deck, inserted the wire, and glued it to the masts.

One other thing about this wire, it worked great for removing the completed ship from the baseboard. :) I was struggling with trying to finesse the model off the work base after the glue had 6 months to set up. Then I had the idea to wrap this wire around my fingers on either end, and run it under the hull, sort of like dental floss, to cut through the glue. Worked like a charm. :)

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
And a parting shot of the rear mast. Very simple rigging indeed. I worked from a combination of the plans (which showed nothing there at all), the cover art and a photo book I have of the Austro-Hungarian navy.

She was a fun build.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wow wee wow WOW!! :shock:
Superb model, Corporal Trim!!
She came out so very well, and was a joy to read as you built her.
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post the photos as you went along, and sharing a bit of your magic with the rest of us!
Jim

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
She looks terrific, Steve! I've been sitting here for several minutes just studying your photos… So, this is your idea of "minimalist" rigging scheme! :shock: Congratulations on the completion of a magnificent project!

So what’s up next? ;) :D

A.J.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Oops. :eek:ops: I forgot to ask in my earlier post: what tool did you use to drill the small holes for the rigging?

And congratulations on making the front page and earning "Picture of the Week" Honors! :D

A.J.

bwallaw

Nov 26, 2005
Seattle, WA
Excellent Steve!

The minimalist rigging seems to be a bit more than I'd consider minimalist and it looks great. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

I'm going to try that ship launching technique, too. Cheers.

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Ajax said:
Oops. :eek:ops: I forgot to ask in my earlier post: what tool did you use to drill the small holes for the rigging?

And congratulations on making the front page and earning "Picture of the Week" Honors! :D

She looks terrific, Steve! I've been sitting here for several minutes just studying your photos… So, this is your idea of "minimalist" rigging scheme! Congratulations on the completion of a magnificent project!

So what’s up next?

A.J.

Thanks, Bill and Ajax. :)

Hehe, once I got into the mood with the rigging, I just kept going on it. The wire actually looks better than in these photos, shrinking them to 45kb with MS Photo Editor seems to degrade the resolution. I used micro drill bits with a pin vise to make the holes.

What next ? Good question. I have a few WW1 ships waiting in the wings. But for the time being, it's back to painting some German flats again, such as this one I did of Alexander the Great.

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Very nice, Steve! You've done a wonderful job painting it (they're made out of tin aren't they?). That also reminds me that Oliver Stone is making a movie about the life of Alexander the Great. Should be a good one to go see when it comes out!

A.J.

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Thanks, Ajax. :)

Now for the next ship, any suggestions ? I have:

Digital Navy Oregon
Modelik Petrapavlovsk
JSC Veribus Unitis
HMV Victoria Luisa
Wilhelmshaven Seydlitz

Here is my thought process so far. The Seydlitz is tempting me, but the German-only instructions are poor, text-only. I'm not sure if my skills are up to just winging it as I go. The HMV kit is nice, but very detailed. There's also a photo etch kit available for it which I don't have yet and I'm hesitant to start without obtaining it first. The Oregon looks like a great kit, but a similar ship to the Wien in some ways, a small displacement coastal defense battleship.

So I'm leaning towards the Petrapavlovsk or the Veribus Unitis. The Russian ship is also a pre-dreadnought, but a not overly complex, 1:200 model done in battleship gray as Admiral Makarov's Port Arthur flagship. The instructions are in Polish, but the diagrams are very good, plus I've met a nice Polish woman at work who can help me out with the translations. :wink: The model is full hull with no apparent provision to build as a waterline kit, but I'm willing to gamble on modifying it.

The Veribus Unitis is a beautiful ship, only my kit is done in a rather sickly green color. :( I wish to heck I'd gotten the gray 1916 edition instead. I'm hoping the green grows on me as I build it, or maybe looks better in 3-D than on the parts sheets. One real advantage to building this ship is the terrific 3-D website:

http://www.viribusunitis.ca/model.htm

You couldn't ask for a better supplement to the plans !

What do you guys think ?

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Well, if my vote counts, I suggest the Veribus Unitis by JSC...That 3D site provides an extraordinary source for detail and guidance that I don't think exists for the others you mention. That would heavily sway my choice; besides she is a beautiful ship, whether it be the gray or sea green color scheme!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Oh My!!! :eek:
Thanks, Renaud! :D
I should really check out that webpage more often. :roll:

Well, now, that is quite a collection of BEE UU TI FUL ship models.
Tell you what, having seen those great photos of the completed Viribus Unitis by JSC that is one beautiful little ship, and the green color scheme doesn't look bad at all, at least not to me!

One other thing I noticed was the Tornado merchant ship. The model package does not do that ship justice; they should really consider getting a photo or two from that talented fellow who built that model and use THAT as the cover page. Did not realize how detailed that model can be built, and she has some very fine looking lines and interesting details.

I really must thank you again, Renaud, for posting those links.
Great find!!
Jim

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
Thanks, Renaud. I couldn't view the individual pictures, but I was able to view the ship in the body of the thread.

Jim, you're right ! The green doesn't look bad at all. Distinctive, even. :) Veribus Unitis it is then, plus we know some of JSC's tricks already. :wink:

Can anyone recommend a good source for generic photoetch in 1/250 ? I'd like at least like to put the railings and proper ladders on on this time out.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Yepper!
Check out Lighthouse Model Art:
http://www.lighthousemodelart.com/home.html
Go to the menu on the left and look under "Accessories" and then click on the "photo etch" box, and you will find halfway down the page generic railings in 1:250 scale!
Just found out about this this weekend.
I will be placing an order for some of the 1:400 scale railings because although building them up with thread from scratch works nice, I would like to try photo etch so it doesn't take a year and a day to make and install railings. :roll:
Hope this helps!
Jim