Justice prevails for the Gauge !!!

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
I guess this chick believed that her 2005 BMW X3 is impervious to a locomotive - What an idiot !!! I hope this article woke alot of people up.

Home News Tribune Online 02/16/07

Driver hit by train issued summonses

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
SPOTSWOOD: Two summonses have been issued to the 37-year-old Parlin woman whose vehicle was hit by a Conrail train at Snowhill Street Monday evening, police said.

spacer.gif

Yolonda L. Bishop received summonses for disregarding a railroad signal activation and careless driving, police said.
Bishop and her 2-year-old daughter were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick although police said they had no visible injuries.
Bishop's 2005 black BMW X3 was traveling east on Snowhill Street when it crossed the train tracks and was struck at 5:48 p.m., police said. The train hit the driver's side of the vehicle, which suffered severe damage.
The vehicle came to rest on the property at 5 Snowhill St., damaging a building there that is vacant and has been condemned, police said. The train was traveling at an estimated speed of 25 mph, according to police. There are no gates at the railroad crossing where Bishop's vehicle was struck, but it is the protocol of conductors to hit the train's whistle, police said.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
eightyeightfan1 said:
I've heard it like this.
A train hitting a car, is like a car running over a beer can.
You'd think people would...Think!

No kidding. Sadly, where I work, people who are supposedly intelligent (most often University grads in very high paid professions like lawyers) end up doing and saying extremely stupid things. And people say us Security Guards are morons.:rolleyes:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
She got off easy. This car ran around several cars stopped at the lowered crossing gates. 80 mph passenger train... stopped about 3/4 mile from the crossing.

Train:1 Car:0

4 occupants - DOA.

ScanImage06.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
OUCH!!jawdrop you would think the BLAIRING HORN and BLINKING LIGHTS would give it away that SOMETHING BIG IS COMING!!!!!AND PAIN IS SOON FOLLOW!!! I really pity those ignorant people ,thinking they are faster than a train.and endangering the life of others in the car,not to mention the engineer.

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
bigsteel said:
I really pity those ignorant people ,thinking they are faster than a train

Shouldn't pity them....they're morons.
Instead, say a prayer for their families and the train crew instead. Read how the accident happened and consider how many times groups like Operation Lifesaver / The Police / and millions of $ in advertising predicted over the course of their lives that this is what COULD happen if you run a crossing signal.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
bigsteel said:
OUCH!!jawdrop you would think the BLAIRING HORN and BLINKING LIGHTS would give it away that SOMETHING BIG IS COMING!!!!!AND PAIN IS SOON FOLLOW!!! I really pity those ignorant people ,thinking they are faster than a train.and endangering the life of others in the car,not to mention the engineer.

No kidding! And the only people I pity are the passengers in the car, the train crew and the people who have to clean up that mess. The driver is a total idiot!:curse:
Of course, I'm assuming the passengers were not interfering with the driver of the car and telling the driver "Faster! Just go through. You can beat the train!"

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
hooknlad said:
I guess this chick believed that her 2005 BMW X3 is impervious to a locomotive - What an idiot !!! I hope this article woke alot of people up.

Home News Tribune Online 02/16/07

Driver hit by train issued summonses

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
SPOTSWOOD: Two summonses have been issued to the 37-year-old Parlin woman whose vehicle was hit by a Conrail train at Snowhill Street Monday evening, police said.

spacer.gif

Yolonda L. Bishop received summonses for disregarding a railroad signal activation and careless driving, police said.
Bishop and her 2-year-old daughter were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick although police said they had no visible injuries.
Bishop's 2005 black BMW X3 was traveling east on Snowhill Street when it crossed the train tracks and was struck at 5:48 p.m., police said. The train hit the driver's side of the vehicle, which suffered severe damage.
The vehicle came to rest on the property at 5 Snowhill St., damaging a building there that is vacant and has been condemned, police said. The train was traveling at an estimated speed of 25 mph, according to police. There are no gates at the railroad crossing where Bishop's vehicle was struck, but it is the protocol of conductors to hit the train's whistle, police said.
At least this driver was lucky enough to be able to receive her ticket.
As a certain comedian would say "Here's your sign."

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
train1 said:
Shouldn't pity them....they're morons.

The four that were taken out in this particular incident were, as the police will sometimes describe them, no great loss to society. They were 2 couples, both "known to police" for numerous offences, and left kids behind. Hopefully the kids will have a better chance with those -ahem- people out of the scene.

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
This doesn't surprise me, given the amount of stupid idiots that I have to contend with whenever I am out driving.
Funnily enough, I watched a popular motoring programme on TV last night. In it, they conducted a test (I would imagine alongside transport safety officials) where they parked a minivan on a level crossing (A Renault Espace, to be exact). They then drove a BR class 31 diesel locomotive along the same line at about 80 MPH. Inevitably, the minivan was almost wiped out by the loco! There was criticism in the papers this morning about showing such a thing so soon after a fatal train crash here in the UK, but I reckon that it didn't matter and that such "tests" should be shown no matter what the recent circumstances.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Remember people: STOP, LOOK and LISTEN- heard some scary stories from train drivers, where people even try to commit suicide, the worst is that the person looks you straight in the eyes and you can hear the bones being crushed as the train goes over them.

Last year while still working on a train we hit a bakkie (South African for pick up truck) where a man had parked- with his wife and five year old girl- over the crossing and waited for the train, the investigators found the car full of bills that weren't paid.

Oy, what sad things that happen around us.