Just wasn't happy...

ezdays

Out AZ way
...so I tore my newest section almost all apart and redid it. Here are the old configuration that I had the track in place and wired, but not ballasted, and the new configuration where I'm almost back to that same point now. Just a bit more wiring to go and I'll be able to test the tracks.

There were several reasons for my making the change. My original layout (to the right of the white line in the sketches) is hinged. The older configuration had three crossovers between the newer, fixed side, and the hinged side and I just couldn't keep all three sets of tracks aligned both vertically and horizontally. I'd get one track set, and the other two wouldn't line up. Secondly, the only way I could run a train in the new section was to have it cross over into the original section. I redesigned the fixed section so that I can run a train there in a loop and still loop another one on the original section without having to worry about either one. :thumb: I also got rid of that pesky reversing loop.

Anyway, I'm happier now. I've got a smaller yard, but more room for industries which pleases me since I enjoy building structures and scenery more than running trains anyway.:D

Attachments

• Layout sketch old.jpg
    Layout sketch old.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Layout sketch new.jpg
    Layout sketch new.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 239

ezdays

Out AZ way
LoudMusic said:
Hmmm. Interesting. Any photographs?
Not yet, give me a few days. Right now that area is overloaded with tools, parts, rolls of solder and wire and just junk.:eek:ops: Gee, if I only had a place to store these things...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Russ Bellinis

ezdays said:
Not yet, give me a few days. Right now that area is overloaded with tools, parts, rolls of solder and wire and just junk.:eek:ops: Gee, if I only had a place to store these things...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How high off the floor is the layout, Don? Would their be room to put some tool boxes or drawer sets under the benchwork?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Russ and Pete, I was subtly referring to this thread right here where I seem to have my toodbox and layout confused...:D :D I used to have storage under my layout but it got trashed when I moved and I never rebuilt it. I guess if I would be able to put my trains on my layout, I'd have a toob chest to store tools in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But what better place to store your tools than on your layout, at least you always know where they are.sign1sign1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
ezdays said:
Russ and Pete, I was subtly referring to this thread right here where I seem to have my toodbox and layout confused...:D :D I used to have storage under my layout but it got trashed when I moved and I never rebuilt it. I guess if I would be able to put my trains on my layout, I'd have a toob chest to store tools in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But what better place to store your tools than on your layout, at least you always know where they are.sign1sign1

Isn't there a kids' story along these lines...? Can't put the rolling stock on the layout 'cuz it's covered in tools, but can't put the tools away 'cuz the toolbox if full of rolling stock. :rolleyes: :D

Andrew

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that reworks a layout! :) Hope the new configuration works well for you Don!
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

If the layout is going to be put up and taken down at least partly, having only one track across the joint is a definate benefit. Have fun with it, Don. I thought I was going to be able to get started on my layout, but my wife and I decided to enlarge the house including our bed room, so it looks like we may be moving into the layout room for a while. Maybe next year!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Russ Bellinis said:
If the layout is going to be put up and taken down at least partly, having only one track across the joint is a definate benefit. Have fun with it, Don. I thought I was going to be able to get started on my layout, but my wife and I decided to enlarge the house including our bed room, so it looks like we may be moving into the layout room for a while. Maybe next year!
The problem is that the older section is hinged and that's the only way I have access to my wiring. It was a good idea at the time, but now I'm stuck with it. I've also got some storage space under there for long things like track and roadbed. When I swing it closed, somehow I could never get all three sets of tracks to line back up. Now I only have to be concerned about one set.:thumb:

Good luck on your remodeling project. Ya gotta make room for a layout somewhere.:D

viperman

Other than all the reverse loops, I like the original. I think you should add a connection at the top, so you can make a loop out of both sides together too. Does look cool though. What is the overall size?

ezdays

Out AZ way
viperman said:
Other than all the reverse loops, I like the original. I think you should add a connection at the top, so you can make a loop out of both sides together too. Does look cool though. What is the overall size?
The "L" section is 4.5' x 6', the hinged section is 3' x 7'. This is, of course, N scale.:D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I agree that you should add at least 1 more connection between the two as once you enter a loop, the only way to the other is to back up.

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
I'm glad I'm not the only one that reworks a layout! :) Hope the new configuration works well for you Don!
Ralph

I find that not everything that works on paper works on the "table". I've even tried printing the track plan 1:1 and laying it on the benchwork -- still get the "Oops Factor".

Russ Bellinis

Don, I was going to suggest as other have done, that you add a second track between the 2 sections of layout so that you don't have to back out of the right section to get back to the left section of the layout, but then I reread your thread and noticed that you are trying to eliminate all but one track at the joint for reliability. I noticed that you don't have any reverse loops. One reverse loop on each side of the layout would allow you to move from one side to the other and back freely without having to make awkward backing moves to do it.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Russ, I'm aware of that. I had a reverse loop on my original concept and had too many tracks between the two. What I achieved is two loops, one on each side of the layout and I may never run trains between the two. I have one place I can add a "Y" and create a reverse loop and still maintain a single track between the two if I want to. It isn't too late to change it, all I need is the incentive and two more turnouts.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: