Just planning...

Karou

What's the best way that you reccommend planning a layout .. for a room which measures ~ 20 feet by 30 feet .. though there's no stairs down to it yet.. nor do I have the house that's over it yet.

I'm just looking for design ideas, as well as sites and programs to check out.

One caveat on the programs, though .. I'm on a Macintosh, and don't have Virtual PC.

Tyson Rayles

Welcome to the Gauge! :wave: I use a PC so I don't know which programs will work on a Mac, but if all else fails pencil and paper still does the job! :)

Pooh Bah
Karou:
Do you have enough control that you can get the stairs to go into the middle of the room? That will give you a layout with no duckunders. See if you can get the other basement stuff far enough from the wall that you can run a track behind them.
Check Thortrains (gauge member) who has a site full of track plans.
Find John Armstrong's book Creative Layout Design for a bunch of approaches.

Karou

unlikely, but I can try .. might aim it so that it's on the same wall as the drum for the fuel for the oil heat, so as to avoid that space .. might even be putting that thing behind a wall, to keep the smell down, as well as for safety.:eek:

Karou

Re: Hi Karou

Originally posted by screwysquirrel
Welcome to the Gauge! Aren't you glad I pointed it out to you?
Yes .. now I just have to hunt down the information I can glean from this place.

billk

Karou - Howz about giving us more of an idea of your space - sounds like with the fuel oil drum and all you don't have 100% free usage.

Karou

Well, it's a semi-finished basement .. jusr concrete, plus the posts holding up the house above .. I'm figuring that I can build a 'closet' around the oil drum when I finish the basment .. which will include a couple steps in the design, seeing as the 'slab' isn't level all the way across (house is built on a hilside, with glacial erratics poking around .. but the basement is good and seald with concrete, even if you can see where the rocks are.

After putting in the stairs, and building the enclosures to hude the drum, plus the water softener bottles, and the heater, plus add in heat for the room, I'll have an easy 20' x 20' area to work with, minus say 2 1' square sections for where the posts are. (metal posts, srtuctural in nature)

This, is all just planning, I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to get the house, yet.

shamus

Registered Member
Welcome to the gauge Karou, thats some room size you have there my friend. Now if my room was as large as that, I would be inclined to buy one of the drawing programmes available for track planning. "Extracad" I think is a free download and is also for the Mac. as well as the Pc's. I myself use Freehand10 which is just a drawing program, not a CAD, but it works for me.
Cheers
Shamus

Karou

I'll remember that suggestion .. I have Freehand already .. might combine it with the other .. I just know freehand works with OSX ^oo^