just finished a SP SD38-2

I am finally done with my Kato HO scale Southern Pacific SD38-2. I have 2 under construction right now. what i did was add a new cannon cab with the rebuilt L window front from Hi-Tech details. then I added a new sub base with the SP split equipment doors. you also have to add a nose light. i seriously doubt that Kato will have all of the proper SP details if they decide to release a SP unit.

if you dont want to go as far as i did, all you really need to do to the Kato unit is add a nose light and a rooftop bell.

here are some shots of my SP SD38-2. that i just finished![:D][:D]

sp%20sd38-2%202972%201.JPG

sp%20sd38-2%202972%202.JPG

sp%20sd38-2%202972%203.JPG

and here is a shot of the prototype from http://espee.railfan.net

2972_sp-sd38-2-ken_perry.jpg

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
As a fellow SP fan, I must Congradulate you!!! That's fantastic work, and I think everythings great! Although the rust along the side could a little more orange streaking. Those decals are EXCELLENTLY applied, I wish I could decal like that! BTW, has kato ever made an SP locomotive? I've only seen special paints for Kato units done by post-marketeers, have they made any? Altogether, a nice model, good work trainworm!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
As a fellow SP fan, I must Congradulate you!!! That's fantastic work, and I think everythings great! Although the rust along the side could a little more orange streaking. Those decals are EXCELLENTLY applied, I wish I could decal like that! BTW, has kato ever made an SP locomotive? I've only seen special paints for Kato units done by post-marketeers, have they made any? Altogether, a nice model, good work trainworm!

I've heard that the son of the owner of Kato likes U.P., and doesn't like S.P. so he doesn't bother to paint or model anything in S.P. The owner doesn't like American Prototype, so that is why the runs of American prototype are so limited and few. The old man only lets the son use the plant to produce American prototype equipment a couple of times a year.

That is excellent modelling, trainworm. If you didn't identify which pic is prototype and which is the model, I would have a hard time telling.

Kato has done the SD40, SD45, GP35, and the C44-9W in SP paint. so they do get some attention.

the only problem is, that like every manufacturers SP locomotives, a lot of work needs to be done to make them prototypical. I still need to redo all 4 of my SD45's and my 1 SD40 with the split equipment doors. the cabs I can live with.

thanks for the compliments!!

SeriousSam said:
wuts the main difference between an sd38-2 and an sd40-2? they look the same to me.
There might be a difference of length, not too sure, but the main spotting feature between all 38 and 40 series is the addition of a radiator fan on the rear of the locomotive. You see that there are 2 sets of 2 fans there? On the SD40, there is a set of 2 for the dynamics, and 3 at the back for the rads.
Matthew

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Although I'm not much of a diesel fan, I know good work when I see it. Very nice job!

Gus (LC&P)

P.D. I do have 2 diesels in my roster, an SD-7 and a GP-20, both in UP colors...

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
:eek:

Those are amazing. I'm shocked.

*me pulls out pen and paper for notes*

I can barely weather (haven't even tried yet... lol), yet alone reconfigure an entire stock locomotive!

I'm impressed. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :)