Junkers D-I ...1/33 scale Answer Kit

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eatcrow2, Mar 26, 2007.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Well I had so much fun with the well fitting GPM kit, that I decided to abuse myself with one of the Answer WWI kits.. Big difference in instructions and diagrams, and will be interesting to see how far I go before I'll see if it will really fly at whatever stage I'm at.. So far the fit is excellent..;-)

In the photos, you can see the parts.. laser frames.. and this new glue that was included in the order from GPM. (has anyone used this before, and what's your take on it??) One cool thing in this kit was the laser cut jackets and ring sights for the machine guns. This will be a slow build, as I will be going back and forth between this and the "well" I'm working on..

cover..
    [​IMG]

Parts..
    [​IMG]

laser cut guns..
    [​IMG]

new glue..
    [​IMG]
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Good Luck Peter! I have this kit also and was tempted to build it as my 1st WW1 aircraft. Kinda gets away from having to stack the wings. But, it is an Answer kit so I decided to go with a company and desiner that has proved excellant so far. Once again good luck, it looks to be a very cool aircraft! As for the glue, probably non water based similar to the others ie. Duco that some of us swear by and others swear at!
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Does everyone always buy the same kits or is it just my imagination? Looks like its gonna be a cool subject!
    Chris
  4. josve

josve Active Member

I,m curious on this build Peter!
    So I'm looking forward to see how this one comes together.
  5. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

And here I thought I was the first kid on the block to have one...;-) I'll be working on this along with other stuff, so don't expect one of Carl's instant builds (though if this comes out half as well I'll be a happy camper)..

Did everyone else pick this up ordering from GPM, or were there others offering this?
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I usually order from GPM as they are one of the 1sts with the newly released kits. I guess like minds and all is the explanations for us buying the same kits.
    I have actually bought kits based on the build reports in this site. Despite the fact that I already have a model of that particular subject. Anyways it looks like a bunch of us are waitin' eagerly for your build, take your time, sharpen your blades, dig in and have fun!
  7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

cockpit

Just to show that I've started on this, posted this photo of the cockpit framing.. In looking to add the seat, I see that there's nothing on the diagram showing what it sits on (surprise.. surprise) Only 3 ways I can think of mounting it. 1. glued to the rear of the center frame 2. make a small block at what would look like the right height to set under the seat.. 3. run a couple of rods between the side frames, and rest the seat on that.. 3 to me seems the best, but looking for imput from others who have the kit??

Another project going, so slow going on this...
    [​IMG]
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

nice framing - spectacular work on the thin rail type thingies (not the actual term) :)
    Chris
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Peter

Hi, long time no complement you on your excellent build work. :oops:

Contains what seems to be wicker/metal seat details for another metal aircraft from Junkers.
    http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/ju_j1.zip

Cheers
    Maurice
  10. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Thanks guys for the imput.. I'll probably go with my #3, up off the deck at the height that Carl suggested..

Maurice..
    Great diagrams for the J-I.. Definitely goes into my reference file..
  11. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

seat added to cockpit

I've made up the seat.. control column.. rudder controls, and added them to the cockpit. Seatbelts were made from drafting tape painted with acrylics, and a buckle from wire painted silver. At the speed I'm going, I might have this done by the end of the year (maybe)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Great looking build so far. Excellant work on the seat and seatbelt. Don't worry about build speed, its the fun of getting there that counts!
  13. piotter

piotter New Member

Dont forget about foreign viewers ! :)
    Cocpit really impressed me, very nice seatbelts!
    I hope you notice Answer's models are not " very fast" models, so take your time.
    Im waiting for rest of your work - it seems to be fine.
    Greetings - Piotter
  14. piotter

piotter New Member

I always like to visit this site, especially to look at old planes models. I saw yours - very nice indeed. (Whats a pity my english is so poor...:))
    Best greetings to all of you from Poland.:D
  15. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

skinning

Piotter...

Your English is fine!!!!!!

Started skinning with the inner cockpit piece.. Sort of just tacking it in place till I move it around and find what looks right..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

outside cockpit skin

I can see that Carl and others will finish at least ten aircraft to my one, at my current pace..;-)

Have added the outside skin around the cockpit.. Test fitting, and then test fitting again, till I felt like everything was even and lined up.. One thing about these Answer kits, the instructions and diagrams are lacking, but the graphics are quite nice IMO.

[​IMG]
  17. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

outside cockpit skin

I can see that Carl and others will finish at least ten aircraft to my one, at my current pace..;-)

Have added the outside skin around the cockpit.. Test fitting, and then test fitting again, till I felt like everything was even and lined up.. One thing about these Answer kits, the instructions and diagrams are lacking, but the graphics are quite nice IMO.

[​IMG]
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks pretty good so far! Nice and clean, don't worry about speed that'll come with practice, and plenty of time to build!
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks pretty good so far! Nice and clean, don't worry about speed that'll come with practice, and plenty of time to build!
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It's not the speed............. it's the quality!8)