Junk Yard Progress Pictures

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Here are a few pics of the progress of turning the "custom 40 ford truck into a hudson truck , which is what it looked like anyway
Here is the truck stock , a Hudson truck & the wreck progress.
This is the interior , hope the tattered seat comes off OK.
OOPS wrong truck in the first picture .

Attachments

• hot hudson 5.JPG
    hot hudson 5.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 21
  • hudson 1.jpg
    hudson 1.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 12
  • inter 1.JPG
    inter 1.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
  • inter 2.jpg
    inter 2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 20
  • inter 3.JPG
    inter 3.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 16
  • inter 5.jpg
    inter 5.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 17

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Andrew : I make the seat spring base out of a piece of some kind of elastic, here is a pic of it. I have no idea what it's called or where it came from, probably something from a fabric store, I prowl them every now & then they have a lot of very interesting things for a modeler. You just have to learn to ignore the funny looks the clerks give you as you ooooooooohh & ahhh over things! :eek:
Then I stick some cotton fibers in it from a Q tip,the upholstry is a Kleenex painted & installed wet so it will stick. The headliner is made of the same thing, I'll probably use Grosgrain ribbon for the door & kick panels.
The seat frame is the aluminum baking pan covered with Kleenex. One nice thing about building junk cars --they don't have to be perfect.
Before anyone asks, the rubber floor mat is the liner of a package of Basic cigarettes, other brands most likely use the same patterned foil tho. It makes great running board covers too.

Attachments

• frame.JPG
    frame.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 13

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Thanks everybody!! Nice to hear from people who know that just taking a hammer to a model car won't produce a wrecked car ! Non modelers think that should do it!!wall1:curse:

Take look at this -- think I'll have any problem passing this "custom 40 Ford off as a HUDSON now? Just wish that the 1/16 letter stamps had not cost 20 bucks!!:cry:
The 39 chev in the background will be next after the two Hudson pickups are done & the 40 ford coupe , I'm building bumpers for it now.

Attachments

• tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 13
  • tailgate 2.jpg
    tailgate 2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 11

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Dave, a question for those of us who are non-smokers. Is the foil from a stick of chewing gum different from cigarette foil?

Well, for one thing it's going to be smaller, & I think it's smooth to boot.
I have not looked at a gum wrapper since I got my dentures, :cry: ,cigarettes don't stick to my teeth. sign1
I use them for running board covers & trunk mats too

Here is how they look when they are used for running board covers. Also the 40 ford is progressing , hows this for a bumper --has to be rusted yet tho.
You sharp eyed guys will notice the Hudsons headlight is gone, I dropped it & it broke off & now my carpet dust mites are looking for a bulb to put in it so they can look for all the other parts I've dropped. Believe me I'm not fond of cutting another little gold bead in half!!

Attachments

• board 1.JPG
    board 1.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 9
  • board 2.JPG
    board 2.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 9

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Dave,

Tell me the numbers of the posts you want moved (in the upper right corner of each post) and I will transfer them to the other thread if you want.

Andrew

Andrew: That thread is almost 40 pages long now , might as well leave them where they are . Perhaps starting a new thread would make it easier to find something rather than wade thru all those pages to find something?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Andrew: That thread is almost 40 pages long now , might as well leave them where they are . Perhaps starting a new thread would make it easier to find something rather than wade thru all those pages to find something?

I thought you were talking about the "really bashed vehicles" thread, which is only 2 pages/19 posts long.

Andrew

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
NUTS!!! A while back I posted about making mud & such using Plaster of Paris mixed with Powdered tempra Paint --- WELL, I spent ALL day trying to find some Powdered Tempra --- several places I called had it --so they said on the phone -- when I showed up all they had was liquid tempra. Tried to see about ordering it- every supplier has discontinued it .
So I am trying artists chaulks scraped into powder & mixed with POP ---- tell me how it looks to you?

The third pic is one done the old way -- when I had tempra.

Attachments

• mud 1.JPG
    mud 1.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 7
  • mud 2.JPG
    mud 2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 9
  • detail 7.jpg
    detail 7.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 15

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Thats a thought Russ , but I'm not sure that a paste like that would give a "splattered on" effect. I'm trying for a look of getting dirt & mud thrown up during driving. Thanks , I may try it & see.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
The Hudson is getting closer, here are a few pics of the "almost done" truck.

This is a shot showing the rear end I built for it & the radiator, rear end is a couple of electrical fittings( not sure what from) , half a gold bead & a reworked oval head screw. The radiator is a piece of the ribbed plastic from a CD case , with a brass "top tank" added.

Next is another view of the rear end & the w/s glass.

After that hopefully you can see the rest of the upholstry & last a close up of the gizmo on the passenger window --- anybody know what it is? I'll let you guess a while & see which OLD guy figures it out , you "youngins "probably won't. :cry:

Attachments

• almost done 3.JPG
    almost done 3.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 13
  • almost done 5.jpg
    almost done 5.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 11
  • almost done 6.jpg
    almost done 6.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 12
  • almost done 8.JPG
    almost done 8.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 9

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
The "gizmo" in the passenger window is an "swamp" cooler. They were popular in the desert before mechanical air conditioning became a popular option on new cars.

Where do I send the cigar? :thumb: I guess I copied it close enough if you recongized it!! I thought it would be a nice touch in the junkyard. Actually one would be quite a find , the hotrod guys are using them again , when they can find one. :mrgreen: