Juneco Caboose

Glen Haasdyk

I just picked up a Juneco caboose kit that someone else started. I was wondering if anyone here has built any like it.
2008_03050012.jpg

I understand that Juneco made both Canadian National and Candian Pacific caboose kits. Can anyone tell me which one this is so I can get proper decals. I could also use some instructions since the cupula isn't finished and there are details that have to be added yet.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Glen,

I have one of these kits for the CNR version. I can send you a copy of the instructions if you like.

Assuming this is the wood sided caboose, the decals you need depend on the era of your layout, as they lasted a long time in service.

The main "spotting" difference in the wood sided cabooses as I understand it is the style of the cupola. CNR had a shorter version, while CPR's cupolas were noticably taller and more prominent with a different window configuration.

CNR - http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES...ains/TLT-000001-399999/TLT-301016-4s copy.jpg

CPR - http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES...rains/TLT-000001-399999/TLT-301111-6 copy.jpg

Andrew

steamhead

Hi Glen...I can't help you out with your dilemma, but looking at that 'boose, I remembered a couple of questions I have....Which end of the caboose can be regarded as the "front" end...This is particularly applicable to "off-set" cupolas like this caboose has. I have always thought of the "long" end as the front, and the short as the back. But I've seen many pictures of "real" trains with the caboose with the short end forward....
Also, I presume the marker lights should be at the rear end of the caboose...Is this correct..?

This is kind of an obsession with me....I'll go to the extreme of turning a caboose on the turntable so it will be with the long end forward....I guess I need counseling....:mrgreen:

Pooh Bah
I don't know if there was an "official" front end. There are marker lights (or brackets for marker lights) at both ends so that they can be run either way.
Markets should be on the rear end -- they may be invisible if at the front.

Glen Haasdyk

Until you mentioned it I didn't notice the markers on the long end. I have seen Canadian National Caboose (vans as they are called in eastern Canada!) run short end forward so that might be the way that railroad ran them. Or it could simply be there was no place to turn the caboose so that was the way it was attached to the train.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Glen,

I have one too, and I got about as far as the one you've got. I'll see if I can dig it out and see what the deal is with it, if it's CN/CP.

doctorwayne

Glen, your caboose looks like a CNR caboose to me, but they did have at least two varieties, with both tall and low cupolas. Most of the CPR cabooses had single windows in the sides of the cupolas. And as far as I know, cabooses are bi-directional - the conductor simply moves the markers to whichever end is at the rear. On more modern cabooses with built-in markers, a simple flick of the switch activated the appropriate markers.
TH_B_caboose_81_at_Aberdeen_Yd_-_circa_mid-1980s1.jpg

CN_transfer_caboose_76557_as_seen_from_the_Laking_Gardens_pedestrian_overpass.jpg

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Thanks for clearing that Up Wayne. That explanation does make the most sense. Thankfully Masonjar has a set of instructions that he is graciously sending to me so soon this Van will be completed.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Glen,

Is there a picture in your first post? If so, I am not seeing it - not even the "Red X"... :(

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, now I see it... Using MSIE I don't get anything, but with Safari I see the picture. That's the CN version, for what it's worth...! At least I sent the right instructions ;) :D hamr

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

As luck would have it I went to an estate sale of a fellow modeller last night and what was in one of the boxes:
2008_03200020.jpg

The two steps up front are broken but in the box. It should be repaired over the weekend. Not bad for 5 bucks right?
I still plan to build the other caboose, using this one as an example and the instructions provided by Masonjar.

Glen Haasdyk

I started the Caboose project today. While not as involved as Fluesheet's N&W caboose (great job BTW)it is challenging to me.

Junecocabooseproject1.jpg

I started by disassembling the previous builder's work. I had noticed that he had not put window glass in the the windows so I carefully pried the glued in castings out and added the glass. While I was at it I added weight to the car till it weighed a good 3 ounces. I used some old obsolete hardware from work (stainless steel allen screws) for weight and glued them to the bottom of the floor.