JSC Short Sunderland MkI

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by malachite, Jan 1, 2008.

1. malachite

malachite Member

Hi Guys 'n Gals,
    For a long while now I have been sitting on the sidelines reading the postings with the occassional comment here and there. And like the rest of you I have a pile of to do models that would take several lifetimes to make.
    I have a passion for rarely modelled british aircraft, see my wishlist if its still there, and whilst not a designer I have been inspired by fellow Brits Barry with his flying boats and Plastic Bonsai with his Balckburn Buccaneer to have a go and start a thread on my attempt to build a commercial model.
    The JSC model of the Sunderland at 1:72 scale is quite basic with no interior detail but good enough for my first attempt to publically humiliate myself by showing my poor build skills. The kit comprises of 8 sheets of A4 card plus two sheets of instructions in either Polish or Czech. The first thing noticable about this kit is the very light colours with which it is printed. So the first thing I did was to scan the model and darken the colours in Paintshop by the Gamma control.
    To check the depth of colour was better than the original I printed the sheets on A5 paper (80gsm) and I thought to myself why not build the model at this scale, approx 1:100 using the test prints. It would certainly take up less room than the original which would be preserved.

Attached Files:

2. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland 1st part build

Before you all start praising me with lightning build speed I must confess that a lot of this has been constructed over the Christmas holiday but I have only just got round to doing the postings.
    This model is constructed around a keel and former base that gives a very stable platform to work from.

Attached Files:

3. edi

edi Member

very good choice:thumb:

without any doubt an impressive seaplane
    If you are in need of an English instruction, let me know by sending your mail-addy by PM, mine has one
  4. malachite

malachite Member

Shot Sunderland

The next stage was to skin the hull. At his point I was beginning to regret starting this project using such a flimsy paper but decided to plod on.

Attached Files:

5. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland

Thank you Edi. I shall try to get a pm to you later today. I have been building card/paper models for quite a while and rarely read instructions, relying solely on the diagrams. But every once in a while a translation comes in handy for the correct order of a build or little hints from the designer. Your offer is much appreciated.
  6. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland

Here are the next stages of construction in quick succession. Hopefully the pics do all the talking.
    One small point, when skinning the fuselage I noticed that the keel was a few millimetres longer than the skins and had to trim this down to get a fit. This could be down to the scanning process or the printing at a smaller scale or a combination of the two. Nevertheless I am pldding on. Maybe I should change my logon to Roger the Bodger!

Attached Files:

7. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland

Ta Da!
    The fusalage went together surprisingly well. A little packing of cotton wool was needed to give the turrets a bit of robustness. the white lines between each section will be touched up toward the end of the build.
    Thats all for the moment, I'll be back later with the wings.
    BTW Happy New Year to you all.
    ps How do I get smileys into the main body of the text?

Attached Files:

8. barry

barry Active Member

Nice looking model I shall watch this with a lot of interest
  9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Nice job so far. I haven't seen too many JSC builds yet, so this should be interesting. As far as inserting smileys, just click one of them (on the right) as you are typing :wave:.

Ken
  10. malachite

malachite Member

Smileys

I am still not getting the hang of smileys/post icons they just go to the side of the title bar and not into the text. Just had a thought, are they from an add on programme?
  11. exzealot

exzealot Member

When you reply to a thread, you should see 2 sets of icons. The animated faces should be on the righthand side of the message box. The smileys at the bottom of the message box will apply them at the title.

To apply a smiley in the text, just :cool: select one of :oops: the smileys from the rh set as you type; at the spot where you want them.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Malachite, it is entirely possible the scanning process distorted the parts a bit. Try setting a pair of rulers on the scanner plate (one vertical, the other horizontal), scan them, print the scan, and check the printout against the originals to see what changes occurred. My setup slightly enlarges the horizontal dimension and slightly reduces the vertical. I use photoshop to modifiy the image dimensions in order to correct the printout to "true" dimensions.
  13. malachite

malachite Member

No smileys to the right just those at the bottom!!!!
  14. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland mid build

The first problems are now beginning to manifest themselves.
    The area where the wings attach are white areas on the fuselage and as can be seen on the last pic the port wing did not align very well. I am not going to put this down as a defect in the kit but a problem with the builder. When I get to the touch up stage I shall attempt to mask this with paint.
    Just a small word to designers out there, try not to leave areas uncoloured where other parts attach this will give some degree of tolerance for klutzy builders such as me.

Attached Files:

15. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland mid build part 2

I am now beginning to regret starting this build using the very thin paper (80gsm) I printed as a test. The paper is just too flimsy to hold multiple curves as required on the wing fillets. I am going to persevere with this for the time being just to see what other problems lie ahead.
    I shall defininely build this craft again using a thicker paper/card or even the original!!

Attached Files:

16. malachite

malachite Member

Short Sunderland mid build part 2

Last posting for today. And more problems.
    It has taken me the best part of the day to complete the cowling and exhaust for one engine. The cowling is wrapped around two formers, the front one is printed with the radial engine and to help locate the rear former which has to be inserted some way ito the tube, there is a secondary strip wrapped around the inside of the cowling. As it is printed, the strip proved to be too wide and did not allow the rear former to be fully inserted. Luckily the glue hadn't dried and I was able to remove the strip, trim it and reinsert it. The cowling, at this scale, is real small and to achieve to rounded edge of the front face it has 12 "v" notches that all need back tabs with each tab only 3mm long. Very difficult with big digits and the start of arthritic knuckles. The chosen scale has also proved hard to form the rolled exhaust that has ended up at a diameter of 1.5mm. How do the minature boys do it?
    The rolled exhaust then has to have two "v" notches cut into it to enable it to form a small right angle. Again, scale and wrong choice of paper weight were against me and the exhaust has ended up a bit of a bodge.
    At this rate it may be a while before the other three engines are finished and then it is on to the floats.
    One last thing, you may have noticed that the camo' on the various parts of the engine housings don't line up, this is one of the other faults of the kit and will be rectified during the paint phase.

Attached Files: