JSC Ship Models coming soon!

Jim Krauzlis

Hello, Friends!:)

I thought those who enjoy the JSC line of ship models would be interested to learn about two new kits that are still in the final stages of production, but should be available soon (hopefully!). I was corresponding with JSC about getting English translations and, in addition to the translations I was asking for, they sent me the cover art for their next two new offerings:
No. 87 Monitor ROBERTS in 1:400 scale,
jscno0872cp.jpg

and
No. 293 Multifunction Bouy Tender PHAROS in 1:250 scale.
jscno2931bu.jpg

Looks like two more superb offerings from JSC are on the horizon!

Cheers!
Jim

Amazyah

Looks good...

Being fairly new to the paper modeling addiction..er world... I am unfamiliar with the JSC brand.
Are there any pictorial builds here of this brand of model?
Or better yet, is anyone here available to testify as to their "buildability"?
is that a word?:grin:
The cover art looks great but I've learned not to judge a book by it's cover, especially when it comes to models.

Darwin

Amazyah, the JSC line of kits is like any other regarding buildability...it depends on who designed the model. I prefer 1:250 scale, so my JSC kit builds are based on 1:400 scale kits enlarged up to 1:250....if there are inherent design problems in the kits, they are really noticible after enlarging, and I have encountered a few (see my build thread http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2807, which someday I may eventually finish up). However, the problems I've encountered have been fairly easily solved with a little redrawing in an image editor. JSC kits use a rather unusual hull structure approach, since they prefer the "make a box" method rather than the eggcrate method. My own preference is eggcrate construction, so I design my own eggcrate using the JSC parts to give me the dimensions for drawing the formers and keel piece. I personally view the JSC 1:400 kits as being great starting points for designing the model in a larger scale. There are a few build threads in the ship section by members who built JSC kits with no modifications.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Amazyah!:)

As Darwin said, it all depends on how you build them.

They do have a different way of building the hull from most other designers, such as WHV, and it does take some getting used to if you have built mostly egg crate type hulls previously, but I personally like the 1:400 scale series they have. The kits provide a very nice, basic looking water line model of a vessel which I love to use as a basis for adding a little more detail.

Here are two photos of my build of the SS KRAKOW, which is one of two ships provided in their No. 42 issue of the KOSCIUSZKO kit:
sskrakowin1400scalefromjsc3ih.jpg

closeupoffinishedforwardarea96.jpg

That is another thing about some of their designs, you often get more than a single model with any particular issue. If you check out their site you can see they offer not only the 1/400 scale series but also a few 1:250 and larger models as well.

As Darwin has also said, check out the build threads and you'll probably come across a few other builds of their models showing how they look, and their web page has quite a few photos of finished models when you click on a particular kit for details:
http://jsc.pl/store/

Cheers!
Jim

Amazyah

I guess that was a pretty loaded question to be asking! Thank you both for your excellent answers.
I prefer the egg crate method as well Darwin, so that was a good piece of information to know. I haven't tried designing my own as of yet, but I guess it wouldn't be too awful difficult. It probably would still be a good bit of trial and error on my part though.
I am going to have to order one or two and give it a go I guess. Like you said Jim, they do offer some good picks of actual builds on their site which gives a fair idea of what one is up against.

By the way, that's one mighty nice looking ship there Jim! I never would have guessed it was 1/400 except for that enormous penny in the pic! 1/400 looks somewhat challenging to me, especially those railings! Excellent workmanship!