JSC Indianapolis in 1:400

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
But, of course, the newly designed turret from Darwin and Maurice, that's the obvious choice, I dare say...wait, what's that sound...ARghhh!*&! :shock:

No, I did say Darwin's improved turret, didn't I? :lol:

Seriously, great work, Darwin and Maurice, it really is a vast improvement over the kit! Your collective generosity is just amazing!

And superb work, Ed, in putting this one together for all of us to enjoy. :D

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
But, of course, the newly designed turret from Darwin and Maurice, that's the obvious choice, I dare say...wait, what's that sound...ARghhh!*&! :shock:

No, I did say Darwin's improved turret, didn't I? :lol:

Seriously, great work, Darwin and Maurice, it really is a vast improvement over the kit! Your collective generosity is just amazing!

And superb work, Ed, in putting this one together for all of us to enjoy. :D

Cheers!

Jim

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Well, for my own unbiased two cent's worth, I would recommend Maurice's contribution since it appears your building skills are up to that level of detail in so small a scale. To dig around in model appreciation 101, every type of model has a natural focal point. For aircraft carriers, it is the aircraft and deck equipment. For battlewagons and cruisers, it is the main turrets, aircraft catapults, and (when exceptionally spider-webby) mast towers. For destroyers and corvettes, main turrets, torpedo launchers, and depth charge racks. For freighters, the cargo booms. For most aircraft, the cockpit and (when visible) the engines. The more detailed (and true to scale) the focal points are, the more favoribly impressed the viewer will be, even if the remainder of the build is only average quality. And the converse is true...if the focal points are poor quality, the overall model is going to be negatively perceived by the casual observer, even if the rest of the model is perfect. So, when given a choice, make the focal point portions of the build as detailed and true to scale as you can, commensurate with your building skills. A well built, moderately detailed focal point will create a better impression than a crudely built, super-detailed one.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Well, for my own unbiased two cent's worth, I would recommend Maurice's contribution since it appears your building skills are up to that level of detail in so small a scale. To dig around in model appreciation 101, every type of model has a natural focal point. For aircraft carriers, it is the aircraft and deck equipment. For battlewagons and cruisers, it is the main turrets, aircraft catapults, and (when exceptionally spider-webby) mast towers. For destroyers and corvettes, main turrets, torpedo launchers, and depth charge racks. For freighters, the cargo booms. For most aircraft, the cockpit and (when visible) the engines. The more detailed (and true to scale) the focal points are, the more favoribly impressed the viewer will be, even if the remainder of the build is only average quality. And the converse is true...if the focal points are poor quality, the overall model is going to be negatively perceived by the casual observer, even if the rest of the model is perfect. So, when given a choice, make the focal point portions of the build as detailed and true to scale as you can, commensurate with your building skills. A well built, moderately detailed focal point will create a better impression than a crudely built, super-detailed one.

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Hi all.......

My wife and I have had some medical issues to deal with, hence the lack of postings. She is returning from the hospital tomorrow night and I am going in for surgery in a few days....nothing terribly serious, but must be resolved. I will likely be away from my computer for another week but will indeed look forward to returning to this build. See you all soon.

Ed

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Hi all.......

My wife and I have had some medical issues to deal with, hence the lack of postings. She is returning from the hospital tomorrow night and I am going in for surgery in a few days....nothing terribly serious, but must be resolved. I will likely be away from my computer for another week but will indeed look forward to returning to this build. See you all soon.

Ed

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Ed

There's nothing quite like taking it in turns.:D
I wish you both satisfactory medcal outcomes and look forward to your future posts.

Cheers
Maurice

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Ed

There's nothing quite like taking it in turns.:D
I wish you both satisfactory medcal outcomes and look forward to your future posts.

Cheers
Maurice

rjm

Aug 11, 2005
Marion, Iowa
Ed, Wishing you folks a quick recovery. Others following this thread, JSC #10 Indianapolis is pictured on the back of JSC #16 Nelson. There the turrets don't look like the "quonset huts" that are printed in the kit. They are more square but too tall. Look at the shape obove the guns. Whoever built the one on the back cover of the Nelson made a attempt at correcting the turrets. Bob

rjm

Aug 11, 2005
Marion, Iowa
Ed, Wishing you folks a quick recovery. Others following this thread, JSC #10 Indianapolis is pictured on the back of JSC #16 Nelson. There the turrets don't look like the "quonset huts" that are printed in the kit. They are more square but too tall. Look at the shape obove the guns. Whoever built the one on the back cover of the Nelson made a attempt at correcting the turrets. Bob

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday said:
Hi all.......

Ed

Ed,

Take care of yourself.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday said:
Hi all.......

Ed

Ed,

Take care of yourself.

Cheers,
Brad