JSC Indianapolis in 1:400

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
With the Anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing, History Channel had another documentary tonight. Riveting enough to keep me from my only chance to build today. This is the great thing about modeling, something I try and stress to my kids when they ask why I'm building a ship or something.

Great build and relevant during this next few weeks, its coming up on the 50th of V-J day, Indianapolis played an important part.

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
With the Anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing, History Channel had another documentary tonight. Riveting enough to keep me from my only chance to build today. This is the great thing about modeling, something I try and stress to my kids when they ask why I'm building a ship or something.

Great build and relevant during this next few weeks, its coming up on the 50th of V-J day, Indianapolis played an important part.

Cheers,
Brad

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Just a little time to work on the aircraft hangar bay today. Didn't quite understand the folds so I printed a copy of the part onto standard copy paper and did a trial build. Not used to the JSC methods yet but slowly getting a grip. Decided to pose starboard hangar bay door in the open position....still needs a little work. Sprayed the interior bulkheads black prior to assembly to make sure it stays in darkness.

One photo shows hangar part no. 20 on paper along with trial build, second shows finished installation with some finish work to be done.

Click to enlarge

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Just a little time to work on the aircraft hangar bay today. Didn't quite understand the folds so I printed a copy of the part onto standard copy paper and did a trial build. Not used to the JSC methods yet but slowly getting a grip. Decided to pose starboard hangar bay door in the open position....still needs a little work. Sprayed the interior bulkheads black prior to assembly to make sure it stays in darkness.

One photo shows hangar part no. 20 on paper along with trial build, second shows finished installation with some finish work to be done.

Click to enlarge

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Two photos here. One is another example of the magnetic jig in use holding the aft deck house in position while the glue dries.

The other is aft deck house, along with 01 and 02 aft deck plates attached to deck. The deck plates are actually 2 pieces each, glued back to back, with the white edges colored with a Pentel color marker, then attached to deck with Elmers glue to allow a little extra time for positioning. Elmers is definitely slower drying than tacky glue.

Are these images showing up? On my computer, all I'm getting is symbols again. My computer skills (or non-skills) as it may be, leave a lot to be desired. Maybe more research and try another method.

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Two photos here. One is another example of the magnetic jig in use holding the aft deck house in position while the glue dries.

The other is aft deck house, along with 01 and 02 aft deck plates attached to deck. The deck plates are actually 2 pieces each, glued back to back, with the white edges colored with a Pentel color marker, then attached to deck with Elmers glue to allow a little extra time for positioning. Elmers is definitely slower drying than tacky glue.

Are these images showing up? On my computer, all I'm getting is symbols again. My computer skills (or non-skills) as it may be, leave a lot to be desired. Maybe more research and try another method.

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanx Brad,

I can deal with the symbols, as long as the images are visible....... Just switched to my laptop and now can see the images. Won't try to figure that one out.

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanx Brad,

I can deal with the symbols, as long as the images are visible....... Just switched to my laptop and now can see the images. Won't try to figure that one out.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

Indy is coming along very nicely! I really like the way you made the open hanger, it really adds a lot of interest to the model...and of course that mag jig is a great idea.

I for one can't figure out why you see code rather than the pic...is that also true when you "Preview" your post before submitting it? Everytime I log in and go to this post I see the photos right off the bat, so I'm not sure why you see code. :?

Fear not, the pics come up, the large ones are superb, as is your build!
Looking forward to more when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

Indy is coming along very nicely! I really like the way you made the open hanger, it really adds a lot of interest to the model...and of course that mag jig is a great idea.

I for one can't figure out why you see code rather than the pic...is that also true when you "Preview" your post before submitting it? Everytime I log in and go to this post I see the photos right off the bat, so I'm not sure why you see code. :?

Fear not, the pics come up, the large ones are superb, as is your build!
Looking forward to more when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Cool.......something maybe used to build the real ship is used to build the model of the ship!

Neat build thread.........thanks!

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Cool.......something maybe used to build the real ship is used to build the model of the ship!

Neat build thread.........thanks!

john

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanx for your kind words guys.......

All I managed to accomplish today is the rails around 01 and 02 level aft gun tubs. The inside and edges of the rails were white naturally, being the reverse side of the card and the cut area. They were colored with grey artist marking pen. I experimented with a couple different shades, unable to find an exact match. But............in the big picture...does it matter. Can't tell you haw many shades of grey I chipped and painted off the tin can I served on. What matters is....I'm havin' fun.

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanx for your kind words guys.......

All I managed to accomplish today is the rails around 01 and 02 level aft gun tubs. The inside and edges of the rails were white naturally, being the reverse side of the card and the cut area. They were colored with grey artist marking pen. I experimented with a couple different shades, unable to find an exact match. But............in the big picture...does it matter. Can't tell you haw many shades of grey I chipped and painted off the tin can I served on. What matters is....I'm havin' fun.