JSC HMS King George V

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Barry,

That's a good idea. I normally scan my models into pdf or tiff files before I start them, but I didn't do it this time. My scanner was on the blink. I usually do this as a "safety net" incase I screw anything up really bad.

I never thought about using it as "trial run" on certain parts.

Thanks!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hello all,

Finally got some progress to show. Small stuff really. Rocket launchers, all boats, floaters, etc. Got other small stuff to go. Search lights, etc.

Just got my Tom's photo etch for this model. I'm going to rebuild the crane booms, and some other details.

Thanks for looking in!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hey everyone, I've got some more to show...

Added all the small deck elements, both sets of masts, and I even replaced one of the two crane booms with a brass etched type. I took a photo showing both so you can see the added detail and realism.

I used Tom's Modelworks 1/400 KGV set. It's made for the plastic Heller kit, but it seems to work well for the JSC model as well. I'm going to use the handrails, radars, funnel caps, and other aplicable small details.

I like to scratch build as much as possible and use paper when I can, but I find I really like the etched brass stuff. It's really easy to use, and I find the details are really nice.

Take it easy everyone. More to come soon, I'm in the home stretch.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Barry...

Yeah, the CV-13 Franklin is stealing a little time from KGV... :roll:

What kind of ship modeler would I be if I only worked on one project at a time? :-D

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
That's a superb looking model!

The crane is particularly brilliant...great idea to use the photo etch kit for such details, certainly adds a lot of detail to the finer parts which are difficult if not almost impossible to replicate with card.

Looking forward to seeing more as you continue!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
FINISHED! Almost...

Thanks for the comments Jim. Yeah, the more I work with etched brass, the more I like it. The handrails are coming out very nicely.

Find attached my most recent photos. I used some of the .005 semi-transparent nylon thread for rigging. I found the looks very good, but workability very difficult. The material doesn't wind up very tightly around small masts and yardarms... In order to get it tight, I've put a great deal of stress on my masts. I may have to do some re-work on the rigging later. I like the looks of the stuff though, so I'll learn how to better work with it on the next build.

I still have to build the Vickers Supermarine Walrus to put on the catapult, but the ship is esssentially finished. I'm quite pleased with how it came out. My skills are improving, but still a ways to go before I tackle GPM Missouri. :wink:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
She's a very neat and clean build, eibwarrior!:)

I know what you mean about using the nylon thread, I could never get the hang of it. I know others have had great success, but not me. It has always given me fits because it doesn't straighten out very well for me...seems to retain the curl from the spool too much.

I understand if you use CA to bond it to the model and then CAREFULLY heat the thread with a source of mild heat (I don't think you want to actually touch the thread because it will probably part) it is supposed to shrink to a good tautness.

Me, well, I'm not that creative and tend to prefer silk fly tying threads that I can knot without too much trouble; I like being able to adjust the tauntness in tying the knot, which I never seem to be able to do with the nylon thread for some reason.

Anyway, she's looking great!
Looking forward to your next update!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Jim,

I think I'll try the silk fly-tying threads. Can you pick those up at most any sporting goods dept. in the fishing section? Or do you have to go to more specialized vendors?

Thanks as always for the kind comments. I'll have the Walrus built in a few days, and I'll update some more photos.

Thanks!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Finished!!!!

At least until I decide to go back and rework the rigging. :roll:

But here it is, with the Vickers Supermarine Walrus. The Walrus comes courtesy of White Ensign Models and is resin with photo etch parts. I tried to tackle the paper version of the Walrus on the JSC print but it was just too small for me to do any justice to it. So I went with the resin boat-plane. I'm satisfied with it's looks even though it's slightly out of scale (1/350 vs. 1/400).

Anyway, one more on the shelf and many lessons learned. I'll start my next build in a couple weeks after I've had a chance to take a break and digest what I've done on this model.

Coming next 1/300 Maly Modelarz RN Vittorio Venneto.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, eibwarrior!

Fantastic build!

I'd say you did a brilliant job on this model...really should post a few more photos, maybe an overall view and perhaps a head-on shot, if possible...demanding little group, aren't we?:wink:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful build with us!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim!

I'll get a few more photos up of her this week... I'm really satisfied with how KGV turned out. I'm picking up a few skills and ideas for later models...

Thanks!