JSC HMS King George V

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hey guys,

I've been working at the JSC HMS KGV in recent weeks. I'm about 60-65% of the way in. I thought I'd throw a few images out here, just to let you guys see where I was a few weeks ago. More updates to come soon.

For my second major build, I thought I'd try a waterline model for a change of pace. I'll have to say that JSC has a rather unusual hull structure. I've read similar comments in this forum about JSC models. I think it will be a while before I do another one. I think I prefer full hull models to these.

Take it easy everyone... More to come.
eibwarrior

Andreas Kapaklis

Nov 17, 2005
Germany
www.sfsm.gr
Great!!!

Hi eibwarrior,

Tha KGV looks great!!!!! Really clean built. I personally find this class of Battleships just beautiful. I'm planning to built the "Prince of Wales" from GPM in 1:200 later. I was also considering the one you are builiding from JSC but it was out of stock :mad: .
I have to agree that the hull construction is a little bit strange in JSC but it leads to a very sturdy construct. As of waterline or full hull both have their plus and minus.......They both look equally well in the end is my opinion.....
Keep up the great work on this great ship!!!!!!! I will be waiting eagerly for updates.

Cheers

Andreas

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys...

Thanks for the very kind comments guys... I'm still getting my "training wheels off" in a card modeling sense, so I'm still learning alot. Each ship I do teaches me something that I carry over to the next model. Some day I'm going to be confident enough to tackle a really big build.

Andreas, I couldn't agree more. The KGV class is a beautiful ship. I have a Royal Navy fettish anyway. They made very ellegant warships from the turn of the century up until the 1940's. When you start the Prince of Wales, keep us posted with lots of photos. I can't wait to see your work.

Thanks,

eibwarrior

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim! I've been able to put together some more progress photos. This is close to where I am presently. I'm working on the main batteries at the moment, so these photos are fairly close to that.

I gave up on finding JSC replacement barrels for her. The JSC barrels are in abundance, but the KGV barrels seem to be hard to find. So, I'm rolling my own barrels from scratch. They're turning out fairly well. I need more practice rolling barrels though. This is a good excercise.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Guns, guns, guns!!!

Guns, guns, guns! Here they are. Finished the main batteries, and have two of the eight secondary batteries finished.

Had to roll the main barrels from paper. I couldn't find any replacement barrels. They didn't turn out too bad. I used DN's USS Arizona Barrels and rescaled and trimmed them a bit. Painted with acrylics to match the printing on this model. I'm quite pleased for my first paper barrel attempt.

Secondary barrels are styrene round and painted with the same acrylics. The secondary turrets for KGV are very difficult to build. They should be more pieced than folded from one piece. I may make some extra cuts on the next six to ease their construction and improve their look.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, eibwarrior!:)

Those main and secondary guns came out very well!

I sometimes use small wire for the tiny barrels, but styrene seems to have worked quite well for you too. Nice job on rolling the "larger" barrels.:grin:

Looking great!

Hope to see more when you can.

Cheers!
Jim

Teamds

Nov 1, 2004
Northern California
Inspirational Barrel Work

Many of my JSC ships have been scrapped due to main and secondary barrel frustrations, my toothpick AA gun nightmares have finally subsided. I'm now into aircraft (canopies - woohoo!). Again, inspirational work...with about 15
JSC ships on the bookshelf.......some day. Keep up the fine build.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the kind comments guys... I find that I learn a lot from looking on the various builds posted here. You are all a wealth of information and inspiration. :grin:

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi eibwarrior,

very nice build !
how is this jsc kit compared to MM Rodney or DN Dreadnought?
which one is easier to build?
which one looks best?

and I do not understand why do you look for replacement barrels.
are they provided in the kit?

regards,

Tirta

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hello Tirta,

Thanks for the nice comments on by build.

I really like the construction of the MM Rodney. They are inexpensive models, but I think there's a lot of quality there. I scratch build a few components and add some photo-etch brass details to enhance them.

DN's models are first rate. I'm saving my money to buy DN's revised Arizona some day. The Dreadnought was a fine build.

JSC makes replacement barrels for most of their models. I think they look way more realistic than the best barrel rolling job that I can do. I'm still working on that aspect of my skills.:wink: Most of the model dealers stock those replacement barrels and they make an inexpensive, and nice enhancement to the JSC models.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi eibwarrior,

since there is no paper model store in my country,
I do not think that I can find any replacement barrel here.
so I guess I have to make it myself.

do jsc provide paper parts for the barrel?
or do you have to make it yourself?

and what is the year of your MM Rodney?

regards,

Tirta

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Tirta,

Here are some links to places where I buy replacement barrels. Hobby Factory has a fairly large assortment of JSC barrels. From the KGV model, it looks like you have to scratch build the JSC barrels, they give you a profile to match but no printed paper to roll the barrels.

http://www.hobbyfactory.com/index.php?cPath=65_71

http://www.e-papermodels.com/index.php?cName=accessories-ships

http://www.papermodelstore.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=47&sort=2a&filter_id=80

The Maly Modelarz Rodney is their most recent model I think. It was originally released in 1991. I've seen three different MM versions of the Rodney, and they can all be found here:

http://www.papermodelstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=rodney

I hope this helps you out Tirta.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Finally... Got all the secondary guns finished today. I'm not completely pleased with their appearance. I think they could have been beter designed by JSC. The fit-up just wasn't there. I made some modifications to them, but not enough. They'll do though. Was a good learning experience.

Barrels are all styrene round painted with acrylics. Now on to the catapults and smaller arms (AA guns and rocket launchers).

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi eibwarrior,

I think your secondary guns are nice. why are you not completely pleased?

And can you explain in more detail how to make the guns from styrene round?
I notice on each gun there are 2 different diameter, do you use 2 different styrene round?

Regards,

Tirta

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Tirta.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but the edges don't fit-up on the top of the turrets very well. I made some extra cuts to try to correct this problem. Either I'm rolling the edges incorrectly, or there's a fit-up problem here. The turrets are drawn in one piece, which is too much folding and rolling at this size. I think it would have been better to "segment" the construction of the turrets more.

Nothing a little extra edge coloring can't hide. :twisted:

The barrels are made from two different sizes of styrene round. I stock a lot of different sizes of this stuff, so I don't have much trouble when it comes time to make these. JSC provides a profile of what the barrel's size should be, so I just match that as closely as possible. You don't get the barrel "taper" with the round, but guns of this size at this scale, the taper is almost indistinguishable anyway. A small dot of flat-black paint on the end gives the illusion of the muzzle. I've thought of end drilling these, but at 1mm diameter or less that gets a bit tricky. Maybe someday I'll give that a try.

Thanks for looking in.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Kg5

Fine looking model.

Just a thought if you think the part is too complicated cut it into workable sections, probably a good idea to try it on a copy first.