JSC 1:400 North Carolina Build

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Thanks everybody! My next project....mmmmm.... To be honest, I copy my kits before I build them. I hate the thought of cutting them up! I have HMS Norfolk waiting to be done, however, I might start on my first 1:200 ship, HMS Hood. I Have a framed print signed by the last survivor I was given while stationed in the UK, and I did the 1:400 model quite a while ago, so this ship is kinda special. So, we'll see. I gotta get some stick glue to laminate the frames. Wish me luck.

As far as the blast bags.....The paper/glue pulp idea sounds really good. I might just try that out. My technique was to cut a small wad of tissue into a flat triangle, with the top rounded to fit the upper curvature of the gunhouse opening. I would then mix water and glue and apply it to the area around the gun and opening with a paint brush. The wadded tissue is placed over the opening and watered down with the glue/water mixture. You can then wrap it around the barrel and shape it the way you want. I'm getting better at it each time I try. Like I said, the pulp idea sounds worth the shot.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Thanks everybody! My next project....mmmmm.... To be honest, I copy my kits before I build them. I hate the thought of cutting them up! I have HMS Norfolk waiting to be done, however, I might start on my first 1:200 ship, HMS Hood. I Have a framed print signed by the last survivor I was given while stationed in the UK, and I did the 1:400 model quite a while ago, so this ship is kinda special. So, we'll see. I gotta get some stick glue to laminate the frames. Wish me luck.

As far as the blast bags.....The paper/glue pulp idea sounds really good. I might just try that out. My technique was to cut a small wad of tissue into a flat triangle, with the top rounded to fit the upper curvature of the gunhouse opening. I would then mix water and glue and apply it to the area around the gun and opening with a paint brush. The wadded tissue is placed over the opening and watered down with the glue/water mixture. You can then wrap it around the barrel and shape it the way you want. I'm getting better at it each time I try. Like I said, the pulp idea sounds worth the shot.

-Ski

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Ski, instead of stick glue, perhaps the spray adhesive might be a bit better and easier to apply. Alot of us use this for our laminations. Just a suggestion.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Ski, instead of stick glue, perhaps the spray adhesive might be a bit better and easier to apply. Alot of us use this for our laminations. Just a suggestion.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent build, Ski! I can't believe how quickly you built this! It came out great. I love that photo of the NC next to Dreadnought, very interesting comparison. I'm glad you shared your build of this kit with us, it was a wonderful thread. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next build...HMS Hood would be a very impressive build.

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent build, Ski! I can't believe how quickly you built this! It came out great. I love that photo of the NC next to Dreadnought, very interesting comparison. I'm glad you shared your build of this kit with us, it was a wonderful thread. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next build...HMS Hood would be a very impressive build.

Cheers!
Jim

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Andrew Austin said:
Hi Ski,

An excellent build. I am looking forward to your build of the HMS Hood - will you be building the Halinski or GPM version?

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks!

The 1:200 HMS Hood is the older Halinski version. I already got started on it today. Here is the frame next to my 1:400 JSC Hood. Do NOT expect a quick build on this one. :wink: It's my first 1:200 scale ship. My wife just about fainted when I showed it to her.

Does anybody know how to fix "floating ribs? A number of the upper hull ribs are too short. The only fix I would figure on is to "shore" them up to level with with longitudinal frame. I hope I don't find size errors on the hull! Off course, the upper hull isn't glued on yet.

-Ski