JSC 1:400 HMS Dragon Build

Teamski

Next one up: HMS Dragon.

Started on it tonight. Except for the usual waving, no problems so far..... ;)

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1930.jpg
    DSCF1930.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1932.jpg
    DSCF1932.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 19

Darwin

Ski, I cured the waving problem by laminating all decks to 0.5 mil cardboard (my favorite source is Coke cartons). I even go so far as to back the superstructure bulkheads with cardboard as well, even in 400 scale. In order to maintain proper fit, you sometimes have to trim down the framework to compensate for the extra thickness of the deck; however, since I don't care for the system JSC typically uses for framework, most of the time I wind up designing my own eggcrate framing and work the extra deck thickness into my framework design. On a few models I've built, I've even laminated the hull sides, which takes care of the starved puppy look as well.

Teamski

Thanks for the tip. The waviness doesn't usually bother me as it usually gets worked out as the superstructure gets built up and straightens it out in all but the worst cases. I've added frames myself in the past where it needed it.

-Ski

Teamski

More progress on the ship. As I had hoped, the deck straightened out for me....:thumb:

-Ski

cl_hms_dragon_1944.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1933.jpg
    DSCF1933.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 17

Teamski

Movin' on up.... This ship is pretty fun and interesting. I have a lot of edging to do on this one!

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1940.jpg
    DSCF1940.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 24
Lookin' good Ski. I hope you have a wide variety of color pencils for that edging. That's some array of colors!

Nice work!