JSC 1:250 HMS "Invincible" Battle Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by JHS, Oct 18, 2006.

1. JHS

JHS Member

Having been through a nightmare with JSC's LION, I was wondering if anybody has had an attempt at the INVINCIBLE? The lack of structure to support the model gives me no confidence in a happy resolution. Great forum, by the way!
  2. JHS

JHS Member

Having been through a nightmare with JSC's LION, I was wondering if anybody has had an attempt at the INVINCIBLE? The lack of structure to support the model gives me no confidence in a happy resolution. Great forum, by the way!
  3. JHS

JHS Member

4. JHS

JHS Member

5. barry

barry Active Member

Invincible

I think this kit has a problem with the positioning of the mid ship main guns one of the ships sides has the housing out of place. See the thread on Kartonbau.de.

barry
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Invincible

I think this kit has a problem with the positioning of the mid ship main guns one of the ships sides has the housing out of place. See the thread on Kartonbau.de.

barry
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good find JHS and welcome to the forums :) You can do a build review of your lion on this site. Your experience (assuming bad) will be good notice to others :)
    Chris
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good find JHS and welcome to the forums :) You can do a build review of your lion on this site. Your experience (assuming bad) will be good notice to others :)
    Chris
  9. JHS

JHS Member

Chris, the best I can do regarding the JSC LION is to warn off anybody from attempting the model. I filled several notebooks with drawings and long expositions on how to try to fix its problems. After three years of endless corrections, I tossed it 60% complete. To be frank, it is not even remotely worth the effort because (1) it was based on the very inaccurate Norman Ough LION plans, and (2) the designer made so many errors, some which positively defy logic. He did not even follow the plan. There were so many examples of make-believe assemblies you eventually came to the conclusion the designer played a perverse game with the builder. The model is not remotely right for the ship in any of its states.

I had to completely refabricate the aft superstructure when I realized all the 4" gun casements were the wrong shape and in the wrong position. I had to do the same for the casements in the forward superstructure. Literally not one single assembly could survive scrutiny against good plans and photographs. What I am hoping is that somebody will use the superlative 1:250 plan HMS QUEEN MARY included in John Roberts' BATTLECRUISERS to do a definitive model of the ship. Perhaps somebody will spend the time to do an accurate set of plans for LION (I could offer a great deal of information!) someday.

I am happy there are publishers like Halinski and GPM who are now doing models of such a high caliber the builder can concentrate on assembly and any modifications he wants to make rather than having to literally rebuild it from the keel up. I would advise anybody to scratchbuild a Q MARY with the Roberts plans rather than to attempt the JSC LION---believe me, scratchbuilding will go faster!

Thanks for the tip, Barry. I noticed the Q turret error in the Marcle review---I can't imagine a reputable company making such a colossal error---didn't they do a test build?!
  10. JHS

JHS Member

Chris, the best I can do regarding the JSC LION is to warn off anybody from attempting the model. I filled several notebooks with drawings and long expositions on how to try to fix its problems. After three years of endless corrections, I tossed it 60% complete. To be frank, it is not even remotely worth the effort because (1) it was based on the very inaccurate Norman Ough LION plans, and (2) the designer made so many errors, some which positively defy logic. He did not even follow the plan. There were so many examples of make-believe assemblies you eventually came to the conclusion the designer played a perverse game with the builder. The model is not remotely right for the ship in any of its states.

I had to completely refabricate the aft superstructure when I realized all the 4" gun casements were the wrong shape and in the wrong position. I had to do the same for the casements in the forward superstructure. Literally not one single assembly could survive scrutiny against good plans and photographs. What I am hoping is that somebody will use the superlative 1:250 plan HMS QUEEN MARY included in John Roberts' BATTLECRUISERS to do a definitive model of the ship. Perhaps somebody will spend the time to do an accurate set of plans for LION (I could offer a great deal of information!) someday.

I am happy there are publishers like Halinski and GPM who are now doing models of such a high caliber the builder can concentrate on assembly and any modifications he wants to make rather than having to literally rebuild it from the keel up. I would advise anybody to scratchbuild a Q MARY with the Roberts plans rather than to attempt the JSC LION---believe me, scratchbuilding will go faster!

Thanks for the tip, Barry. I noticed the Q turret error in the Marcle review---I can't imagine a reputable company making such a colossal error---didn't they do a test build?!