jrts armour comp. cat.3: sIG-33 Cannon

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by fuchsjos, Jul 11, 2005.

1. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 31

To prevent of swinging the sights around the axle it was fasten with a little rod to the mainframe (and there was so much place, like you want to make a bend inside a thimble).

[​IMG]

======================================================================

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 32

Next step would need some time, to make the shild construction and the accessories (tools) and finish the project.

[​IMG]

2. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 33

After a little break in building the last step of the sIG-33, I want to continue and finish my report.
    First I want to show you some technics, to make curved parts with sphere-basic. Working with some special tools for goldsmiths (I don't know the names in english for them), the pictures show more, than my limited english could explain. But the same technics were also useable for paperparts, if you moisten the paper and heaten the sphere-former with a hotair-gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 34

The little parts, which were mounted to the shield, were made of etched brass, brasstubes, ironwire, wood and plastics (worked out with the minilathe). Both of the storage cylinders becomes also some holding bands of paper. For such reasons I work with adhesive strips made of paper (glue activating by moisten with water or the tongue, like stamps). After placing them, soak with CA-glue would fix them very well.

[​IMG]

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 35

After mounting, ready for coloring, view from back.

[​IMG]

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 36

View from front.

[​IMG]

4. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 37

After mounting the parts of the shield, I colored them in the same way like the other steps.

[​IMG]

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 38

I made the construction in such way, that it was possible to mount the shield-group to the rest of the model, without any drop of glue, only mechanical fixing.

[​IMG]

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 39

There is a look at the front of the shield.

[​IMG]

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 40

Another view to the front of the shield.
    With it, I have reach the end of my report. It was very funny to build this model and for the first time of transfering paper to metal, the result was satisfy for me and let me look for another one.

[​IMG]

5. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 41

At last I want to show you some pictures of the ready model without any comments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

sIG-33 Cannon, Part 42

Some more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finish!

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Josef,

Unbelievable!!!!!

Uh, one thing though, where's the ammunition?

Still stunned, Gil
  8. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hi, Gil!

I'm very glad to share my work with the members of this forum. About the ammunition - there is some time to the end of the competition - for the final (competition) pictures, I will build a little diorama with ammunition, boxes and something else. Also there is need for a little cover or a vitrine to protect the model from dust and my two cats (the grey color is just the same by a little mouse? :) )

Cheers,
    Josef
  9. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Amazing build, I'm suprised that it doesn't actually fire. (that would suprise the cats!)

Your attention to detail and skill at working with really small parts is outstanding.
  10. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hi, Gefahren!

That would be indeed a very nasty surprise for my cats :shock:

Thank you for your attention to my work. Do you know, that your name is a real word in german, stand for 'dangers' - is this your real name or only a nickname, which was choose in the knowless of the meaning of the german word? - This would be cool! 8)

Kindly regards

Josef
  11. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Actually its a shortened nickname from a game I used to play (everquest).
    Originally it was Gefahrenzone (which I took to mean "hazardous area") but some friends complained about typing it out to talk to me so I redid my character as Gefahren and later picked up the last name of Zerstoerung. I've had many people tell me that Gefahren means something like "driven" or "to have driven" so I'm happy to hear someone agree with my original thought on its meaning. I'm only half-German so I never learned the language besides what you hear in movies.

I must say that your skill with photoechting is pretty good, I tried once to make a circuit board for a school project and ended up with a mess (at least it worked after much solder!)
  12. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hi, Gefahren!

If you write it with a little 'g' - gefahren than the translation would be: drive - drove - driven. But if you write it with a big 'G' than the translation would be: dangers (mischiefs, more than one danger). German is not so easy - english is much easier to learn, I think.

Josef
  13. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Josef...

Man O Man... this is just unbelievable....

Josef, your builds are out of this world!!!

This must be a "Lilliputian Masterpiece"!!

............ Gulliver!!
  14. edikk

edikk Member

Hi fuchsjos!

Your model of a gun - very impresses! An excellent ornament for a collection of models.

But at me a question. And much there remained details made of a paper?
  15. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hi, eddik!

I don't understand the question complete, but I think I know, what you want to know.

This project was an experiment. I tried to build a papercard model out of metal, nearly 90% of all parts were made with etching of brass metal sheets. 70% of all parts were identically with the paper pendants. 10% of the model were made of papercard and some other materials (wood, plastic and steel wire). The using of the etching parts was like a chemical jig saw.

If you want to see more paper work of mine - take a look at:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Kindly regards
    Josef
  16. edikk

edikk Member

You have very clearly answered my question, thank.

The second question. Why you have decided to replace details from a paper with metal?
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Extreme Talent on Cardmodels Recognized

Josef,

Your experiment in multimedia does prove that the design tools used in card modeling work extremely well for other media as well. Your special setup with the ability to "print" parts out of brass foil is a very clever way to make highly detailed and very precise parts not achievable in paper alone. The results, Museum Scale quality...,

Again thanks for sharing your work with us. Iinstead of etching brass why not change over to laser cutting paper? Just got a marvelous idea..., have to check it out.

Warmest regards, Gil
  18. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hello eddik!

For this question I have three answers:

1. This project I have started one and a half year ago. It was my second project after a very long break (15 years) of doing any activities in model building. When I saw the parts of the sIG-33, I think by mine, that it is not possible to create some of the very tiny parts only with paper and cardboard. Today I think, it is nearly all possible with this material, but not by me.

2. I want to play with my etching equiment and such a project was the best way to try out, what is possible. Also it was the best way to improof my skills with a 3D-program, because it is the most effective way for me with 'learning by doing'.

3. I'm not a purist. My intention for model building is to use many different materials - each one for the best possible result. It's only the finished model, which counts for me. I love to play with new technics and materials and the sIG-33 was the result of an idea. Next time, perhaps I have an other idea and will do somthing very different - just what makes fun.

Kindly regards

Josef
  19. fuchsjos

fuchsjos Member

Hi, Gil!

Thank you for the acclaimation. Your idea with the laser cutted parts is not so new. Perhaps you know, that GPM offer such parts (mainly formers)since some weeks.
    And I have collect some information about the necessary equipment, it's to expensive for me - at the moment :D

Kindly regards

Josef
  20. edikk

edikk Member

Hi Josef!

To me all is clear. Good luck in your affairs.

From your answers, I have understood that you the jeweller?
    And what 3D you study in proscale?