John Henry / The lengend?

L

lester perry

How did this get from John Henry to Hillbillys. And how do they get a bad name? By the way I was born in Huntington WV. so be carefull what yall say ya hear now.
Les

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Well Jhn Henry and the C&O are synonymous
with WV as is Huntington, you should know that.

I dont know if there was realy a John Henery but the story of the Hawks Nest Tunnle is as fascinating as it is tragic.

How many of you non hillbillies know what red dog is or what ramps are?

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I never knew hillbillies even ate ramps. I thought that was just a country boy thing. I'm a Pa boy and we have enough red dog to pave every back road in the United States. :)

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I guess you have seen burning slag piles then? We had one along side the afore mentioned WVa turnpike that smoldered for years untill the EPA made the state put them out.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
We call them bony piles. They did have one very good use they kept the ATV kids off of my farm fields. Sadly they are becoming a thing of the pass as many are now being reclaimed.

Now for John Henry, it is my understanding that was a very popular name during that era. So the fact is that there were probably several men with the name of John Henry working as drivers during the construction of the tunnels.

I would like to believe there is some fact to the story it just makes it more interesting that way.