John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid Railroad - A Reminisc

abutt

Ray...Thanks for the site. John was a tremendous influence on all of us who were in the hobby 40 or 50 years ago. He still is, as far as I'm concerned.

I had the priviledge of meeting John and seeing the G&D with my own eyes when I was in the service in the early 50s. Still one of the most impressive railroads ever, especially John's wonderful use of mirrors.

Allan

dhartmann

Great link. I'm reading Sam Posey's "Playing with Trains" and in the book Mr. Posey writes about John Allen's layout but there are no photos.

doctorwayne

I've been a fan of John Allen and his modelling since I first saw that 1953 catalogue. Still have the catalogue too! I could never understand those that used to complain about "yet another article on the G&D" in the model magazines. Some thought his style too frivolous, but he was a great modeller and photographer and a real inspiration to a lot of us older modellers.

Wayne

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
John Allen, Gorre and Daphetid.......names from the hushed silence of antiquity, spoken in reverence, and awe, wherever old model railroaders gather to "swap lies". It was good to share living time with a legend of such greatness.
Pete

Will_annand

Thanks for the link Ray. John was one of the greats. I will book mark the site and look at it tonight after work.

shaygetz

Thanks for the link, Ray. John was one of the greats and still influences my modeling...remember my momentum and impact detection car?:thumb: I've already gotten permission to add a link to my webpage from them. My only regret is that I still have dial-up so it takes a small eternity to upload the pics...:rolleyes: