Jgl #5412

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
#5412 started as a Bachmann heavy mountain lettered for C&O. I removed the letering, decaled and weathered. Since just about every loco I've posted has been painted by Blake, I should state that this one is mine, Blake hasn't gotten sloppy. I've started having problems with my camera "pixelating" (I think thats the term) It is obvious on the brick wall. If anyone can advise me why I'd appreciate it. It is an Olympus C700.

Attachments

• p1010318jpg.jpg
    p1010318jpg.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 161

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
The JGL has some serious motive power! I'd hardly call the weathering "sloppy", looks pretty **** good to me.
I have one of those heavies, and will leave it C&O.
Pete

Oh, Blake, is that a 'Badger universal' pixie stick???

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks guys. Hey Pete, have you checked out this locos balance? It's quite back heavy. I put about 2 ounces on top of the stack before it approached being balanced. Haven't tried to see if that weight could fit inside, and won't have to. This thing pulled 8 Walters passenger cars up the helix to the upper level with no problem. Not even a hint of slipping. In fact, I stopped it on the grade and it started effortlessly. That's on a 2% grade on a 26" radius! I don't get it.

Gary

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Gary, that looks great! I don't think you need to apologize one little bit about your weathering job - it looks just fine. Not too much, just right!

Haven't seen many shots of your layout lately hint hint..:D :D :D

cheers
Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Val. You haven't seen photos lately because I haven't gotten anything new done! That brick wall behind the loco, which will have fire escapes installed under those doors, is one side of the structure which caps the end of a backdrop. This is what I'm currently working on. Here is the front.

Attachments

• p1010321jpg.jpg
    p1010321jpg.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 115

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Larry, I agree, I think C&O steam is my favorite. Not to say there aren't others I like a lot, I'm easy. My first piece of brass, back around 1978 I guess, before I had decided to model NYC, was a C&O Mikado. I couldn't resist those pumps on the smokebox front, and all that piping. It went unpainted for a very long time, then I had Blake paint it. Here is one of my favorite photos of it. It was my desire to have another, but with a Vanderbilt tender that led to the purchase of the Bachmann loco. Being plastic, I had no qualms about relettering. I couldn't bring myself to do that to what is now a very expensive piece of brass.

Attachments

• p1010323jpg.jpg
    p1010323jpg.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 103

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Tyson, Here are a couple more of the Mikado Blake painted, you can see why I wanted to make sure no one thought he did the Bachmann unit. While I'm happy with my work, it doesn't compare.

Attachments

• p1010324jpg.jpg
    p1010324jpg.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gary, I'd say the weathering on both locomotives looks great. The Mikado is heavily weathered - ok, so obviously she's been on the road for quite a time without being cleaned. And the Mountain is fresh out of the shops, after only a short run of a few hundred miles.

Both of you did a great job. :cool: & :cool:

The pumps on the C&O smokebox front look very impressive indeed. In reality it must have been not so funny for the guys who had to clean out the flues through this VERY narrow smokebox door! :( (When I look at my circumference... I wouldn't have liked that job at all! :D :D :D)

Ron

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
Now that Bachmann has released the C&O heavy, I have to contact them to see if I can order a pair of the 16000 Gal vanderbuilts. Their light mikados also had those tenders, and I have a pair of Athearns that are prime candidates for conversion.
Pete

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wow, Gary...
Those are some really fine shots of some excellent modeling!
Very, very impressive!
:cool: :cool: :cool: