Jewelers's Last and Modeling Tray

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I do all sorts of different stuff at my work bench, so I made myself a tray so I could remove my projects without disturbing my work. I made it from a piece of 1/8" hard board with a 1/4" pine edge to help keep small parts from taking a hike.

Attachments

• modeling tray all.jpg
    modeling tray all.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 294

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Here it shows the stop I put on the underside edge to keep the tray from sliding across the table. I was going to paint this unit, but I like it just like it is.

Attachments

• modeling tray detail.jpg
    modeling tray detail.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 290

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
It's kind of hard to saw or file small parts without putting the table at risk, so I made a Jeweler's Last. I saw one of these at my friends place. He makes jewelry, rings and such. I always thought this would be perfect for working on model parts so I made one that would clamp to the edge of my table.

Attachments

• jewlers last all.jpg
    jewlers last all.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 286

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Here is the last from the side. You can see the leveling bolt I used for the clamp. I used one of those nuts that hammer into a hole. I'm not sure what there called, but they work fine for this job.

Attachments

• last side.jpg
    last side.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 285

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Here you can see the replaceable hardwood top has an angle cut on the work edges to give tools more clearance. 3 screws and off comes the top when it needs to be replaced.

I hope you make a last for your work bench too. :thumb:

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• last closeup.jpg
    last closeup.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 279
F

Fred_M

That's a cool idea TC. One question, in the fourth pix I see both of your hands, so how did you take it? You have 3 arms? :D I need 5 of them trays. Fred

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
:thumb: yep, I've used a Jewelers last (never knew what it was called) for a long time myself. The perfect mate to it is a Jewelers saw. They are similiar to a coping saw but are designed to use much finer blades than the cope.
My saw has a 8" frame. Using the V notch in the last lets you easily cut metal, wood, plastic, etc.. with control.

t.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
NYC-BKO: Your welcome, but I'm just passing along the idea. Jewelers have used these things for hundreds of years. ;)

Fred: I used a handy little device called a tripod. :rolleyes: Then set the camera for a 10 second delay. Hey Mon, make yerself half a dozen of them trays. Mine sits on a high shelf out of my way and safe from blunders. If I had six trays, I would make a frame against a wall someplace with 6 sets of brackets to store the trays on. :thumb:

t: I remember my friends saw, now that you mention it. It is a very fine saw, made out of a piece of strong fine wire covered with diamond dust. Cuts in any direction.

The term "Last" is an old one. It refers to a number of different things, but the thing they have in common is that a craftsman works on it repeatedly. First time I heard it was in the theater where I worked. The stage manager fixed the dancing girls shoes on a Cobbler's Last. That is a funny looking anvil with three flat foot shapes of different sizes that the cobbler would pound on shoes on. I guess these things got the name "Last" because they are meant to last a long time.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
TrainClown said:
Here is the last from the side. You can see the leveling bolt I used for the clamp. I used one of those nuts that hammer into a hole. I'm not sure what there called, but they work fine for this job.

A Tee nut... As much filing and cutting I do, this is just the thing to keep me from messin' up the dining room table. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

F

Fred_M

Dang TC, I was thinking you would say the wife took it. I then would come back with "you let your wife get that close to you" or some such comeback. :D Fred

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I made a similar tray to use when I want to come up from the basement. I added some slots and holes to hold tools. It works great. Clutz that I am, I've twice spilt paint or stains, only to be saved by the raised lip.
Doc

Attachments

• tray.jpg
    tray.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 96

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Yer all welly coomb

There's nothing I like better than to share a good idea (even if it's not mine per say). :rolleyes:

shaygetz: Thanks for the info. :thumb: A Tee Nut. I never new there name. One more thought. You could put felt on the contacting surfaces of the last, and this would do more to save your table. You could put some felt on the underside of the modeling tray as well. ;)

Sir Prize: The main body of my last is made from a scrap of 4"x4" post I had left over from my fence project. The last could be made from 2"x4" blocks glued together. I got the hardwood for free. I salvaged an old shipping pallet from a paint store. Pallets are usually made from good hardwood timber. I don't pry them apart, as this can be tough to do. Instead I cut out the bits I need with a skill saw. Much faster and easier. :cool:

Jon and Robin: Glad to share the spark of an idea. :thumb:

Clark: Sharp! Oh your sharp! Once you use it, it will be your first last and always. :D

Doc: A while back I had knocked together a tray out of cardboard, but it didn't last long. It had taller sides too, but I found the edges would get in the way of some tasks, and sometimes my arms would get soar leaning on the edge. That is why I put such a small edge on this tray, and really why I got rid of the other. I just want to stop those skittering small parts that are the bain of my existence. I suppose it's a personal choice as to what suits you best. I don't often spill or drop paint, but when I do, no amount of edge will save the environment. :rolleyes: It goes flying! :eek: I do like the idea of the tool rack in the edge. I think I'll make a block to sit on my tray that dose the same sort of thing. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Self Portrait.

Attachments

• looky.jpg
    looky.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 91

dcfxq

Dec 4, 2003
Alexandria VA
Visit site
Found a cheap paint it urself wooedn tray at Michaels about a month ago for $2.49 that I use. Has nice "rails" around it and also slots cut in the narrow end panels and use that for my things when I am working. Also found a small metal bucket about 3" high that is poerfect for paint brushes, rulers and knives. that was $.98 in the "decorate urself" tinware section.

Michaels and AC Moore arts and craft center along with Pearl Paint are a great source for lots of hobby/art suppleis that translate well into scratchbuilding and general train work and a lot more convenient to me the the LHS or MB Klein's (45m away).