Jeweler's Saw

nkp174

I picked up a jeweler's saw for $9 from the LHS today. When combined with my new vice...wow! It cuts through brass like a warm knife through butter!

I wish I'd bought one before. It was a bajillion times better for cutting the holes in my 2-8-0's frame for the #2 and #3 drivers (the holes for #1 & #4 were previously made). The plans for a scroll saw are now on hold indefinitely :mrgreen:

Jim Krause

Yep, you can't beat old tech for some jobs. No batteries, No loud noises and they do the job. I have what is called a fret saw in addition to a jewelers saw. Looks like a jewelers saw but with a elongated frame. I believe it was designed for cutting holes in musical instruments like violins etc.

ytter_man

I own two dremels w/full compliment of accessories, and a full 18v kit of cordless power tools (circ saw, buzz saw, even a vacuum cleaner and a flashlight) and i still prefer my diamond files, jeweler's saw, xacto's, and a xuron.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i tend too use alot of hand tools,as i see alot of power tools overkill for my HO stuff,althouh maybe not so on the future large scale railroad.....:)--josh

Mountain Man

The smaller the scale, the trickier it gets to use power tools, even those like Dremel.

I have always preferred hand tools for the precision and control they offer.