Jersey Central Reefer

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Below is Athearn Jersey Central Reefer I finished weathering recently.

List of Materials
Athearn 50’ Reefer Kit Jersey Central #1622
Kadee #5 couplers

Undercarriage and weight
Undercoat: Folk Art Dove Gray (708) thinned 1:1 with blue windshield washer fluid
Paint: Folk Art Charcoal Gray (613)
Sealer: Plaid Clear Acrylic Sealer-Matte (CS200306)

Weathering:
Drybrushing: Folk Art Charcoal Gray (613)
Wash: Folk Art Charcoal Gray (613) with a few drops of Folk Art Licorice (938); thinned 5:1 with blue windshield washer fluid

Trucks:
Paint: Folk Art Charcoal Gray (613)
Drybrush: Americana Burnt Sienna

Wheels:
Paint: Americana Burnt Sienna mixed with Folk Art Bright Peach (682) 1:2

Attachments

• cnjref1z.jpg
    cnjref1z.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 194

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
Great Looks

That's a really "dirty", as in good, looking box car. I am going to have to learn to do that myself. I'd love to see more examples of your weathering effects!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks folks for the compliments. Hopefully tonight I will posting my next completed car, a well used and abused N&W gondola.

Andrew
Thanks for the recommendation on another forum. I was floored. I never considered myself to be that good.

Chris
I have posted several other cars if you’re interested. Just go to my profile and do a search for my postings or visit my website. If you can’t locate them give me a holler and I see if I can list some for you.

Jeff
I use windshield-washing fluid because it works. Actually some folks recommended it to me here and on another forum when I was having difficulties thinning paint. I can’t use tap water because of its hardness and distilled water made things look cloudy. Also other paint thinners did not seem to work well. Some people have said that the alcohol content in the windshield-washing fluid is what makes it a good paint thinner.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Re: recommendation

Hi Tom,

No problem!

Someone here (in another thread) said why would they subscribe to any model railroad magazines when you can come to The Gauge and not only see great work, but talk to the people who did it.

I especially like your work because I do not have an airbrush for weathering.

Andrew

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
The weathering you have done on this one and the gondola (?) look as good as anything I've seen in Model RR magazine. Maybe you should send them some pictures and an article on how you did it.

Don't sell yourself short. You've done a great job and are very talented. That's why I enjoy this forum, you can see pictures of what people are doing and actually talk to them about how they did it. I think someone else kind of said something along this line in an earlier post, but it bears repeating.

I had asked about the windshield washer fluid on your other thread, but I see now why you use it. I'll have to try it.:cool: