Jerome, Arizona

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
As I said in another thread, we took a journey last week that included a ride on the Verde Canyon RR, a stop in the "ghost town" of Jerome and some time in Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Here are a few shots around Jerome. The Building high on the hill is what is now the Grand Hotel. I wrote about Jerome in a recent article for a weekly paper that I write for. Here is part of that article as well:
Back in the 1950’s, Jerome was indeed an abandoned ghost town, built precariously on the side of a 30-degree slope not too far from Sedona, one of the prettiest sights in Arizona. Ahh, but back to Jerome, it was there to support the miners that took out gold, silver and a whole lot of copper. Around the turn of the century there was some 15,000 people living there. That declined as the mines played out. They ceased operation in 1953 with only a handful of people still around. Later on, the hippies found Jerome as a haven to get away from civilization, buying property for pennies on the dollar. Jerome is not on the way to anywhere, it is a destination. In the 1970’s there were a few more people finding refuge there and a few stores and restaurants reopened among the rubble of other buildings mainly to accommodate the straggling tourists. The hospital high on the hill sat eerily empty. As time went on, the State decided to redo the mining president’s house into a museum; soon some artists settled down and opened shops. More tourists followed and the town began to live again. Eventually the hospital was renovated into a hotel, as was the old residence of a town madam. It is said that if you spend the night, you can hear the moans of the former patients and be visited by the unfortunate chap that was crushed beneath the hospital elevator. Spirits of ladies of the evening wonder about in the other hotel and nearby streets and even one mineshaft has a “Headless Harry” to contend with. There have been so many incidents of ghost sightings at the community center that it’s referred to as Spook Hall. Residents say that Jerome remains a ghost town, only now in a different sense. Here the legend is only supported if you believe in ghosts, but there are so many of them that they are hard to ignore. Step back in time; see for yourself.

Attachments

• JeromeGrand.jpg
    JeromeGrand.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Jerome little daisy.jpg
    Jerome little daisy.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 38

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here are a few more around Jerome. The lasts two are of some of the many slag piles around town:

Attachments

• Jerome far shot.jpg
    Jerome far shot.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Jerome houses.jpg
    Jerome houses.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Jerome slag1.jpg
    Jerome slag1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Jerome slag2.jpg
    Jerome slag2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 33

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Gary H Pfeil said:
Very interesting and well written Don! Thanks for posting it.

Gary
Thanks Gary. The Grand Hotel, which was the hospital, has been featured on one of those "haunted hotel" TV shows. When we first went to Jerome back in the late 60's, there were few people living there and may buildings were litterally falling apart. Some houses were sliding down the hills. Many since have been restored and a lot of shops are open. We didn't bother to park downtown since there were a lot of people and cars and just few parking spaces. A popular place for sure.

I write a monthly article titled,Out Arizona Way for a Cincinnati weekly newspaper . I've never been to Cincinnati, but the paper is owned by a friend of mine and I thought his readers could use an insight as to what it's like living here in Arizona. This is about the fourth year I've been doing it, and I really enjoy it. My pay scale is the same as it is for being a moderator at the Gauge.:rolleyes: The only difference is that I get a free newspaper every week. :D

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Great write up and photos Don.
Jerome has a lot of railroad history.
There was the 3' gauge United Verde and Pacific from Jerome to Jerome Junction, (Chino valley), later the standard gauge Verde tunnel & Smelter RR. from Jerome to Clarkdale and the Arizona-Extension Railway from Jerome to Cottonwood.
Here's link to more info.
http://www.silogic.com/jerome/jerome.htm